Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sm5w2

How to convert a file system from NTFS version 3.x to NTFS version 1.x ???

I understand that when an NTFS hard drive from an NT4.0 system is removed and mounted (as a secondary drive) on a Windows 2k/XP system, that some sort of automatic file system conversion is done and the file system on the NT4 drive is converted to NTFS version 3.something.

When the drive is re-installed back into the NT computer (NT4.0 SP6) it seems ok with the "new" version of NTFS - although it seems unable to use the built-in drive management tools like scandisk or defrag.

I would like to convert the drive back to NTFS 1.x but Partition Magic (version 8.01) does not seem to have that ability.

So - how can I convert an NTFS 3.1 drive back to NTFS 1.x (ie back to it's native version) ???

AFAIK you can't frown

However I think you maybe able to take the long way around, let me explain.

PM has a function to convert a partition from NTFS into a FAT16/32 partition. Try resizing the partition into a FAT16, this means it will need to fit into a 2GB limit. Once done you should be able to boot off of this as NT4.xx supports both NTFS and FAT16. Once done you should be able to convert back into an NTFS 2 partition. I think the NTFS 1.xx was for NT3.xx if I'm not mistaken.

What defrag utility are you using in NT4?

IIRC, NT4 SP4+ supports the NTFS ver in Windows 2000.

Does Chkdsk still work?

The OS on the drive is NT4 SP6.

At various points in the past few years the drive was removed and attached to other computers (running Win2k and XP) in order to perform virus and trojan scans.

It was eventually noticed that at some point (presumably after the first time it was slaved to a Win-2K system) some drive maintenance tools were non-functional (ie when you right-click on a logical drive, select properties, tools, check for errors, etc). Norton systemworks 2001 was installed at some point and I believe that those diagnostic and defrag tools also don't run.

No, chkdsk doesn't work either.

Basically, even though NT works, it seems to know that it's running on a version of NTFS that's foreign to it and refuses to perform any integrity checking or defraging operations.

I would like to "revert" it back to it's native version of NTFS.

Tell me if this would work:

1) Attach a second physical drive to the computer and start NT4.

2) Have NT format the new drive with the same number of logical drives as drive #1. Presumably NT will format the drive with it's native version of NTFS.

3) shut down the system and boot Norton Ghost from a floppy.

4) in Ghost, perform a partition to partion copy (copy logical drive C: on drive 1 to logical drive c: on drive 2, etc).

Would that give me what I want, or will ghost replicate the NTFS version on Drive #1 as it copies it to drive 2?

Originally posted by sm5w2:

Quote:

Would that give me what I want, or will ghost replicate the NTFS version on Drive #1 as it copies it to drive 2?

Ghost will replicate exactly what is on the master/source drive onto the target/destination drive. That is what it's supposed to do wink

Unsure if Ghost can perform just a straight file copy. Dos can but then you'd have to hunt down the NTFS for Dos files.....WinPE could do the file copy but unsure if it would update your NTFS ver.....

Probably would be best to make a Ghost backup of your HD and then try the NTFS->FAT conversion if PartitionMagic will allow.