Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mjstone03

SMC 2532W-B on fedora core 2

How are yah. New to linux here- When I install fedora with the wireless card in it sees it and brings up a configuration window on first boot. However, it doesn't give me the option to configure it. I think it gives me 4 options-none of which seem to work (remove, remove and don't remind, things like that). How do I make it work? When i pull up a terminal and type iwconfig there are no interfaces. When I go to NEAT there are no wireless cards. I'm lost and I've had it. Any ideas before I burn the discs and fdisk the mbr?

Don't nuke and pave yet! Remember, you're in strange territory so it's gonna take a while to get acclaimated.

open a terminal and become root. You do that by typing:

su [press enter]

It will ask for your root password. Enter it and press enter.

Now, type:

system-config-network [enter]

You are now in the right place to configure your card. First, try activating the card. If this works, you're in business. If it doesn't, you'll have more configuring to do. If the small window gives you error messages, write them down and post them here.

I can't configure it for you, so just have a good look around in this utility and get familiar with it. Look in "edit" and see if the box is checked where you have the option of having the card activate at boot. If it isn't checked, check it.

Just did some checking on your card. It uses prism2 chipset so you should be good to go. This is a pcmcia card right? After activating you may have to do what I do with my orinoco and pull it out for a few seconds, then slide it back in so it can read the new settings. Also if using Wep or any type encryption, turn this feature off from your router until you get it configured. Let me know what you find out...

okay, this is what it says on startup:

The following network card has been removed from you system:

SMC SMC2532W-B EliteConnect Wireless Adapter

You can choose to

1) Remove any existing configuration for the device

2) Keep the existing configuration, you will not be prompted again if the device seems to be missing.

3) Do nothing. The configuration will not be removed, but if the device is found missing on subsequent reboots, you will be prompted again.

-I chose #3 because both 1 and 2 don't really make much sense when you think about it. If I chose number one, it will remove the config (as the original notice states). If I chose number 2, it sounds like it will keep the configuration stated in the original notice(-card has been removed-). I don't get it.

When I type system-config-network the card does not show up, nor do I see it when I try to install make a new network connection under the hardware tab. It's not there to activate. Yes, it is a PCMCIA card. Not using encryption, broadcasting ssid.

Which one should I check? Still lost here. Any pointer on getting that card to work would be greatly appreciated. thanks. I'm thinking "keep current config," but I don't know and I don't want to mess it up again. Linux seems a hell of a lot more complicated when compared to winxp.

I must have missed you post of the 24th, sorry. When you go into system-config-network under "hardware," your SMC should be showing up there. Is it? If Kudzu has configured it as you say, it should. Try checking it under eth0, eth1, and wlan. Im going to go re-familiarize myelf with system-config-network so I can help better with this...

mjstone03, do you by chance have Yahoo messenger on another computer besides your laptop? Maybe we could set up a time to get your PCMCIA card working. I might be able to "talk" you through it that way...

Let me know. If not, we can still try to get you configured here...

No, I don't. I only have the laptop from which I recieve a wireless link through my landlords cable connection and router(which I don't have convenient access too). I started it up today without the card in it and it still told me it was removing the config and gave me the 3 options. I still chose #3(do nothing) so that it keeps asking me. It's funny how it knows the card is there but doesn't want to let it work. I don't need any extra drivers or anything special, right? I read something about how you can "wrap" windows drivers and make them work.

The "drivers" are already in your Linux distro, you just have to get the configuration right to make it work. Do this:

pull the card out and reboot. Kudzu should then say it has been removed and offer you the oportunity to Delete the configuration. Do that.

Then reboot again, and let kudzu find it again. This time, tell kudzu to configure it. When you are at your desktop, do:

system-configure network and click the hardware tab. You should see your SMC there and configured under eth0 or eth1.

Do this much and tell me what happens...

If Kudzu is finding and configuring your card, and nothing at all shows up when you run system-config-network, then I'm not sure how to advise you...

UPDATE:

I just spent some time researching your problem and I believe I've found a solution. Read this and it's follow up posts.

If you need help implementing this solution, let me know and I'll be happy to show you how.

Sweet!! It works. Thank you. I wasn't sure if this thing was ever gonna work. I'm actually replying here in linux rather than xp for the first time. Awesome. It's good to have forums like this with competent people. Much appreciated.

Originally posted by mjstone03:

Quote:
Sweet!! It works. Thank you. I wasn't sure if this thing was ever gonna work. I'm actually replying here in linux rather than xp for the first time. Awesome. It's good to have forums like this with competent people. Much appreciated.

Thanks guys. I had the same problem and this worked great. Thanks for info.