Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lotus

Average CPU Temp (Normal Workload)

1. 1. Sharepoint migration 2010

• Migrating to Sharepoint 2010

What is your average CPU temp in "Celcius" (NOT CASE TEMP)

If you overclock your system, I'd like to know your default and current CPU speed.

Thanks

That is when my pc is just sitting, doing nothing (43 celcius to be exact). I have a P4 2.8 Northwood, oc'ed to 3.55. Temp for stock speed would be around the 39 mark. Cooling is 2 12cm fans (1 intake, 1 exhaust) and a blowhole on the side panel (no fan), on top of the processon.

My new system has a 3.2E Prescot on a DFI 875B LanParty Pro mobo with Kingston PC3200 running in DDR400. I bought an Artic Cooling 4ProL and some Artic Silver 5 compound for the CPU. I use Motherboard Monitor to keep an eye on temps. Average is 52c. I have 2 80mm fans in my tower, but I am needing more it seems. The downfall is the room the PC is set up in stays pretty warm. I know the room is half my problem. I also know the prescot runs hot. I'll add in 2 more fans today and see what happens.

I love the spped though! smile

- Lotus

I've got a 3.2Gig prescott processor, my temp runs at 50°C when I do normal windows stuff and runs at 52°C when I play games at full graphics. I have water-cooling with only one 12cm fan on the radiator, I have no intake fan and my PC stands right next to the heating in my room with a constant 25°C

36c on a slightly oc'd P4 2.8@3.06Ghz

Ambient temp in the case is 29c.

Both temps are taken from the Thermaltake sensors. Using MotherBoardMonitor (that uses the native mobo hardware sensors) its saying 36c also

During gaming (Doom3, HL2 etc.) it rises to 42c.

Just for the record there are 5 12mm fans (2 intake, 2 exhaust, 1 to circulate) in the case, a coolermaster jet cpu cooler, a zalman VGA cooler + additional fan.

RPMs for the case fans are only 2300. Coolermaster is turned down just enough to stop the jet noise (sry no pun intended lol). Zalman fan runs at full RPM but is almost silent.

Just for the record, this article is informative:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article191-page1.html

To some of the other guys here - i wouldnt worry too much about temp since if ur box is stable (and cant quite brew a cuppa) then all is well smile

--

Scin

I just dropped my temp to 46°C on the processor and to 33°C in the case, I also use "MotherBoardMonitor", its pretty nice.

I dropped the temp by fitting the radiator and fan on the outside of the box, but I still only have one fan, I'm thinking of getting another 12cm one for the front for intake. I also just sealed my whole box up all round (it took me a good 5 hours) with home made filters from German hospital stocking thingies, now I wont get that stupid dust inside my PC like before, I used to vacuum clean my PC inside once a month.

Yep the MBM is great, although they are (have?) stopped/ing support for it. If I remember rightly SpeedFan is another.... smile

Hmmm, thats a bummer, maybe I should give speedfan a go.

I've got a Q-Fan option on my motherboard (in the BIOS), its to regulate the fan speed, slower (quieter) when cold and faster when hot (louder), but I dont use it cause I've only got the one fan and it uses a standard 12V power connector not the normal fan one that fits on the MB, so I cant regulate it, it runs full all the time, but its not that load anyway, so I'm not worried about it for now.

I’m using a northwood P4 running at 2.4Ghz (no o/c) using the stock Intel heatsink (with one 120mm case fan) and generally get around 38°C when idling.

Always make sure that your motherboard is running the latest BIOS revision. My temps dropped by 5 degrees after A-Bit realised the calibration on the temp sensor was way out and issued an update.

Ouch!! LOL ok ive just witnessed a little hottie... and no im not talking about a nekkid lady pic :P

Just had a call to sort out a little PC at work- it has a Prescott 3.20E in it.... 82c!!!!!!! Apparently that is usual of this cpu running at 100% for a little while...

So... im renaming that cpu to 3.2BBQ-E 8)

Lotus... i think u r doing good since we have 15 of these cpus and they all must run over 60c easily- i just checked 5 of them.

Saying that though they are all in very small slimline cases from HP... nasty

I've got a prescott 3.2 and mine runs at 47°C now, it used to run at 60°C before the water-cooling

I have DELL works at 25 degrees celsius.Wonder by DELL

Well, its a lot better than the previous setup with 8 fans (4 in the case, processor, 2 on graphics card, power supply), cause now I only have the one 12cm fan, the only downfall is that the wind going through the fins of the radiator is more noisy than the fan itself, well, the fan is pretty quiet. But, I'm happy, da soun don bodder mi smile

I want to try and get it even cooler by sealing the little space between the fan and the radiator where the two's mounted together so that all the air it sucks in has to go through the radiator fins:)

I could not find the correct stuff to seal that gap between the fan and radiator, so I just used a piece of wire to put in there temp. to test, just by closing that gap it cooled my processor down to 40°C, thats not bad for a cooking prescott imo.

Hi y'all,

I don't understand something:

I just turned the machine on, still in the BIOS, the case is open and all I have is the standard Intel CPU cooler and fan.

I have P4 3.2Mhz Prescott with the 1MB cache.

P4P800-VM with 2GB Kingston RAM (4x512).

500W PS

2x 80GB SATA.

Just with power on.. still in the BIOS, the temp readings are:

CPU Temperature: 65 Celcious / 149.5 Far

MB Temparature: 36 Celcius / 96.5F

How is it you are all getting lower readings than that?

I mean.. this is on the first 120 seconds of the Power on, still just looking at the BIOS.

With the chasis closed and after 20 minutes, the temps inch up (still in BIOS screen) to

CPU Temperature: 72 Celcious / 161 Far

MB Temparature: 41 Celcius / 105.5F

What am I missing?

-Alon

Are there any fans in your case to take the air in/out? Also, what graphics card do you have? For example a Radeon 9800 runs VERY hot on stock cooling.

So, combine that with the trapped air in the case having nowhere to go and you have a very hot case. Which in turn does not help the processor cool down. Add a couple of fans (even standard 8cm fans help) and tell us if temps drop.

Originally posted by SupermanInNY:

Quote:
Hi y'all,

I don't understand something:

I just turned the machine on, still in the BIOS, the case is open and all I have is the standard Intel CPU cooler and fan.

I have P4 3.2Mhz Prescott with the 1MB cache.

P4P800-VM with 2GB Kingston RAM (4x512).

500W PS

2x 80GB SATA.

Just with power on.. still in the BIOS, the temp readings are:

CPU Temperature: 65 Celcious / 149.5 Far

MB Temparature: 36 Celcius / 96.5F

How is it you are all getting lower readings than that?

I mean.. this is on the first 120 seconds of the Power on, still just looking at the BIOS.

With the chasis closed and after 20 minutes, the temps inch up (still in BIOS screen) to

CPU Temperature: 72 Celcious / 161 Far

MB Temparature: 41 Celcius / 105.5F

What am I missing?

-Alon

My temp was the same with the same processor as yours, thats why I went over to water-cooling

Originally posted by tsonta101:

Quote:
Are there any fans in your case to take the air in/out? Also, what graphics card do you have? For example a Radeon 9800 runs VERY hot on stock cooling.

So, combine that with the trapped air in the case having nowhere to go and you have a very hot case. Which in turn does not help the processor cool down. Add a couple of fans (even standard 8cm fans help) and tell us if temps drop.

Open Case, onboard graphics. And when I mean open case, I mean the board is facing the cieiling entirely open an exposed.

No trapped air.

That's why I was very surprised to see such high values on power up (and keeps it at constant value) when there is no box issue at all,.. and using the standard Intel CPU fan.

The box that I'm using is a 2U box still with the lead open,. so no air traps yet.

Originally posted by Wicked101:

Quote:

My temp was the same with the same processor as yours, thats why I went over to water-cooling

Please provide me with the water cooling solution you have. A link would be helpful.

Since my box is a 2U box, I will have limited height option.

My board is a MicroATX form factor that has 3 PCI slots, Onboard graphics and onboard sournd, and NIC card.

I'm not using the AGP slot, just the onboard VGA port.

I'm not using any PCI slots either.

If a water-cooling option will reduce the temp dramatically,.. and can fit in the box, I would certainly implement it.

If you have a link to the water cooling product.. that would be great. Also, can you tell me how high is the entire 'system' from the board to the highest point in the cooling system? I can't exceed the height limit of the 2U box.

I've arranged for a 80cm fan to push in and a 120 to pull out when I close the box, so there should be circulation of air, but if I can bring the initial temp down by 20 degrees that's a 33% decrease and that's huge!

-Alon.

Hmm, I just recently upgraded to the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo and the 3.2E CPU. I'm using the stock, copper core heatsink/fan and just ran a couple hour stress test with 3D Mark 2001-SE in looping mode.

The max temp so far is 50.5c and I did notice that the thermal CPU fan was speeding up to around 3800~3900 RPM. This is what it should do as the CPU temp rises.

I wonder does either of your machines show the fan speeding up at all or does it stay at the slower speed of about 2500 RPM ?!?

I want to run my box for awhile with the stock cooling and then try again with my Zalman copper bloom and see what the difference is smile

Here is a stupid question:

When I purchased my CPU and M/B, I got them along with a fan.

No paste.

Do I need to add the paste?

Would that do the miracle thing about reducing the heat?

-Alon.

Originally posted by SupermanInNY:

Quote:
Here is a stupid question:

When I purchased my CPU and M/B, I got them along with a fan.

No paste.

Do I need to add the paste?

Would that do the miracle thing about reducing the heat?

-Alon.

That depends, did you purchase a boxed CPU ?!? If so then you should have noticed the thermal pad on the bottom of the heatsink, pretty much centered and covering up the copper core wink

If you purchased an OEM cpu and an OEM heatsink/fan then that may not have come with a thermal pad. If that was the case then yes, even generic white thermal paste would help out a lot, let alone some of the high quality Silver Paste that is out now laugh

Also note, that if you purchased a Prescott core CPU it should be either a copper core or a solid copper heatsink/fan type. Basically any P4 from 3GHz on (for Northwood core) or any of the Prescott core, this includes the Celeron D, has a copper core heatsink/fan. How do I know this, because of all the system builds I make. We use boxed CPU's only because of the warranty and this has always been the case smile

Originally posted by jmmijo:

Quote:
Hmm, I just recently upgraded to the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo and the 3.2E CPU. I'm using the stock, copper core heatsink/fan and just ran a couple hour stress test with 3D Mark 2001-SE in looping mode.

The max temp so far is 50.5c and I did notice that the thermal CPU fan was speeding up to around 3800~3900 RPM. This is what it should do as the CPU temp rises.

I wonder does either of your machines show the fan speeding up at all or does it stay at the slower speed of about 2500 RPM ?!?

I want to run my box for awhile with the stock cooling and then try again with my Zalman copper bloom and see what the difference is smile

I've got exactly the same mobo and CPU (boxed), and with the sink and fan my temp reaced 60°C on idle and a lot more when I stress my PC. but the ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe has a feature called "Q-Fan" in the BIOS, it controls the fan speed.

Another thing, make sure that your PC reads your 3.2CPU as 3.2, cause the P4C800-E Deluxe has a problem with the 3.2 prescott CPU, you have to update the BIOS to be able to read the CPU correctly, I think it only reads it as a 2.8 without the update. That could also be why your Temp is so low imo.

Wicked

Originally posted by Wicked101:

Quote:

I've got exactly the same mobo and CPU (boxed), and with the sink and fan my temp reaced 60°C on idle and a lot more when I stress my PC. but the ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe has a feature called "Q-Fan" in the BIOS, it controls the fan speed.

Another thing, make sure that your PC reads your 3.2CPU as 3.2, cause the P4C800-E Deluxe has a problem with the 3.2 prescott CPU, you have to update the BIOS to be able to read the CPU correctly, I think it only reads it as a 2.8 without the update. That could also be why your Temp is so low imo.

Wicked

Well I had to flash the BIOS with an old Northwood CPU first anyways because it wouldn't post without the latest BIOS installed wink

As for the Q-Fan option, I never use it or any other Smart Fan type of BIOS option. Just a sure way to over-heat your CPU and case cooling IMO laugh

Originally posted by jmmijo:

Quote:
Well I had to flash the BIOS with an old Northwood CPU first anyways because it wouldn't post without the latest BIOS installed wink

As for the Q-Fan option, I never use it or any other Smart Fan type of BIOS option. Just a sure way to over-heat your CPU and case cooling IMO laugh

Ah ha, as long as you got it going:) luckily for me my mobo ran with my CPU, so I could update my BIOS with no problems.

The Q-Fan, I only mentioned it:) I dont use it either, even if I wanted to, cause my fan dont plg onto the mobo, it uses the standard power plug and runs from Power Supply:)