Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jerbou71

new cpu

Hi I need help.

My system right now is:

845g motherboard, 1.7 celeron, 768RAM, 5500 geforce 256mb grafix card, 120 mb harddrive(40 and a 80)

Now I got a P4 2.4 533MHz 1 mb cache and when I took out the 1.7 celeron and put the P4 in I thought it would set everything automatically. I guess not it just turns on and the moniter dosn't come on the fans turn on but thats all. Do I need to get differnt bios, and if so how do I do this switch.

The 2.4 is brand new.

Thanks for any help.

You will probably have to look at the jumpers. These motherboards are similar, but pull out your manual to be sure: three visible yellow jumpers. One next to the Northbridge is for FSB selection. This jumper has the three following options: Default, 100 MHz, or 133 MHz. It may be that your motherboard was set at 100MHz and needs to be reset for 133.

One thing you should note is that there is a strong possibility that your motherboard does not support the 1MB Prescott CPU's. There are now two versions of the P4 Prescott, one that runs at the standard 800MHz FSB and the other that will run at the older 533MHz FSB. However since the Prescott core CPU's require much more power than the older Northwood core cpu's this is most likely the problem.

You'll need to check carefully with the motherboard manufacturer for a BIOS update, some can be updated to properly support these CPU's and others will not be able to be updated this way wink