Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
stedolan

Boot problems

Hi, I have used a Windows XP image on a computer that has a slightly different configuration from the machine I originally ghosted. Now normally using 98 or ME the new hardware would auto detect during the first boot up, but for some reason XP refuses to boot and just resets itself when you try to enter safe mode. Any ideas?

Hi Stedolan,

Are there any specific error messages displayed?

Also, are you ghosting the image back onto a hard drive that is in the same 'position' as on the original ghosted machine; the first hard disk on the first disk controller for example? If not then you'll receive a STOP error as Windows won't be able to locate the boot partition.

You MUST use Sysprep (see Deploy.cab file on XP CD), before deploying XP images onto different PCs. This will remove h/w specific information on new PCS so it can auto-detect new h/w when booted.

Originally posted by peterh:

Quote:
You MUST use Sysprep (see Deploy.cab file on XP CD), before deploying XP images onto different PCs. This will remove h/w specific information on new PCS so it can auto-detect new h/w when booted.

Quite true, that is the proper way of doing it. This may be unavailable in this instance though.

Windows XP does a pretty good job of discovering new hardware however (in the case of a complete system change) so Stedolan may be able to get away with it just this once. smile