Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SoulNothing

connecting to a windows network

alright i read through the stuff for samba and tried working on connecting a windows folder to no luck

i have a basic windows file and printer sharing network set up all using xp home

first

the hardware name LAPTOP

workgroup Company

now i wanted to transfer over a 9.5 GB folder of my music files over to linux any help would be appreciated.

what distro are you using first of all???

in my opinion i would use samba in console to transfer my files from windows to linux....here is a little how to on how i do it.

make sure you have samba installed and in console type in

smbclient //computername/share -I <ip address of windows box> -U <login account for windwos>

-- for example: smbclient //cypher/C -I 192.168.1.102 -U administrator

-- the hit enter

-- when you hit enter it should ask you for your windows password.

-- put your password in and you will be logged into your windows machine.

-- once logged in type in prompt and then you will come back to a terminal. at that type in recurse. now what that dose is when you put in prompt it will turn off the prompting when coping the files over. since you have 9,5 gigs of music and if you don't turn prompting off it will prompt you and ask you if you are sure you want to copy this file over. and recurse will turn on recursive copying over.

-- once you put those two commands in you then put the command in

mget "name of folder where your mp3s are located" make sure you include the quotes when you put the path in and thats it

also when you are logged into your windows machine if you wanna see what directories are there just use the linux commands ls, cd, and so on

you might have to cd into the directory where your music folder is located don't forget to do that ok

hope this helps you

Mario

The Linux Guru

Assuming you have samba installed correctly and have a graphical interface such as KDE or GNOME then there is a much easier way. All you need is a program like LinNeighborhood or SMB4K. Installing these are easy and you seem pretty sharp (i've read your posts before) so I won't go into their installation in detail. Anyhoo - both of these programs allow you to mount a windows share on your linux box just like a regular hard drive. All you have to to in windows is make sure that the folder its in is shared on the network which you can do by right clicking on the folder and selecting the tab that is labeled sharing. Then click the check box that allows network sharing. (Warning - you have to have every folder up to that folder shared to browse to it - i.e.

Say your mp3s are in c:\Documents and Settings\Music\MP3s

YOu have to have sharing enabled for the Documents and settings folder, the Music folder, and the MP3s folder. )

Anyways - LinNeighborhood allow network browsing in a graphical environment. Simply browse to the share as you would in windows - then mount it - these programs are easy to use - you should have no trouble.

Once it is mounted you can copy your files in via drag and drop like usual.

- So Long and Thanks for All the Fish.

Hi...

I am setting my LAN. I have installed Windows 98 running ADSL USB modem.

I have Linux Red Hat 6.2 box and I have gotten install this in another machine.

Windows 98 can see Linux and Linux to Windows (both are good friends) (ping 192.168.168.1 to 192.168.168.2).

I am using Samba for transfer files from Windows 98 to Linux.

However, I am not able to connect Linux to Internet via Lan (using the facility from Windows USB Internet connection).

Should you suggest something for help me?

Best regards...

Alex

oldspiceap i got them to see each other through scanning as user but cant mount the folder ive tried changing the directory

it just says error

should the id be my windows id or what