Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
latino85

XP Starts installing Office 2000 out of NOWHERE whenever I use the find feature

Does anybody have any idea why my Windows XP Pro starts installing Microsoft Office 2000 Premium out of no where whenever i use the search feature on the start menu?????

and it does find the file im looking for but i have to KEEP hitting cancel on the installation process??????????????

I'm not sure why this happens, but if you just let it finish the installation it shouldn't happen again. You might need the Office CD though. Just let it install what it wants to install and it should be fine!

If your office 2000 installation is hosed .... you can always rip it out using this (use this as a last resort, though it has never failed me)

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/docum...n-us/msicuu.asp

How to use an Office 2000 Setup log file to troubleshoot Office Setup problems

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;237957

See the above to see what is actually being replaced/added by the MSI installation.

G'luck smile

Okay trust me i have already tried letting it finish the install and i even put in the disk because i actually had a copy of Office, but it just didnt continue. and to the 2nd reply, can u explain this in more detail as far as what it actually does??

Quote:
Okay trust me i have already tried letting it finish the install and i even put in the disk because i actually had a copy of Office, but it just didnt continue. and to the 2nd reply, can u explain this in more detail as far as what it actually does??

MSICUU.exe will rip out failed MSI installations from the registry. Then you would manually delete the Office 2003 Folder. Reinstall from scratch, and that should take care of it

HTH laugh

I had a similar problem and used some reverse psychology by selecting to update the installation (Add/Remove programs), then select, "Change", followed by "Repair Office Installation".

I then purposefully did NOT provide the Office CD when asked for it, essentially letting the repair process fail. This seemed to clean up any remnants from previous installs and my system is now good to go.

This may be too late for you already, but I figured someone else may find it useful.

Take it easy

javascript:AutoInsert('%20;)%20')

http://www.ntcompatible.com/images/icons/icon_up.png

RE: Install Office 2003 over Office 2000 without discs in Windows XP

Hey abacusboy -- your solution was the only one that actually worked !!

This has been a persistent problem not only for me but for alot of people who have asked the same question in various forums.

Just one thing I did before your procedure - was to go into the registry and change permissions on the files the installer had problems with.

(for example: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\Setup\OptionalComponents)

right click on folder or on particular file in right pane for "permissions".

Add:

Everyone - Full access

I also did this in the UNINSTALL folder for the product ID's for Office 2000.

If I had seen your solution earlier I may not have needed to do all that. So I'm not sure how much is necessary.

Hope someone else can use this. wink

Re-install Office 2000. Instead of Standard, select Custom Install. Right click at the top of the customization tree and select "Run All from My Computer" Let Office finish the reinstall.

You'll never be asked to install Office features again after that, as they'll all be on your hard drive.

Copy the following lines to a batch file and run it:

msiexec /i {00000409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7} /qb- REMOVE=HTMLSourceEditing

msiexec /i {00010409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7} /qb- REMOVE=HTMLSourceEditing

msiexec /i {00020409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7} /qb- REMOVE=HTMLSourceEditing

msiexec /i {00030409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7} /qb- REMOVE=HTMLSourceEditing