Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ninjapirate

LAN problems

I was trying to set up a LAN via ethernet between my computer and my friend's laptop - I am running 2000 Pro, he is running XP Pro. The two were connected up but no matter what we tried, we couldn't get a connection. Whenever we tried to enable the Local Area Connection, we both got the "Network cable unplugged" message, even though the cable was plugged in. I don't have a clue why it isn't working...so I was hoping someone here might!

Yes, you'll need a crossover cable, look at the 2 RJ45 connectors at the end of the cable, you should see 8 colored wires, if both of them looks exactly the same with all the colors in the same order then its not a crossover. For a crossover you need to swop (If you´re wrking from left to right) cable 1 with 3 and cable 2 with 6.

If your cable happens to be a crosover already then the problem could be your network card settings. Check that both PC´s has been set up to the same speed network connection, you get Auto, 10MB with half and full duplex and there is 100MB with half and full duplex, I would suggest 100MB with full duplex.

OK, now, check the network settings, make sure that everything is set exactly the same on both PC´s except for the static IP address (it works better with static). Make it something like 172.16.0.1 on one PC and 172.16.0.2 on the other, but make the subnet mask the same on both PC´s, it should give you a default one of 255.255.0.0 after you´ve entered the IP address, this is good enough. If you still have problems you know where to go laugh

Ohhh, Sorry ScinteX, I only saw now that you had the link in there about the cables, silly me, I could've saved myself a lot of time if I saw that before I wrote a story book answer. laugh