Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
acileli

Boot XP without monitor?

was hoping someone here might know something about this cuz I sure as hell dont.

I want to build a rackmount PC that will be used as a sound source for live music performance. It's going to be hooked up to an Apple laptop that will serve as the interface for the performer, and I don't want to confuse the issue with a second monitor hooked up to the rackmount.

I just want the rackmount to turn on and autorun a couple applications and that's it. Ideally, no interaction with the PC should be necessary.

Problem is, I don't know if Windows Xp boots withought a monitor plugged in. What about the keyboard and mouse? Do they have to be plugged in?

Is there any way to have the PC displayed on the laptop's screen?

I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone might have.

THanks,

Arman

There is absolutely no problem for XP to boot up without keyboard, mouse or monitor.

Bios might complain about the absence of keyboard, though, so check the settings there (first page where you can set the date and time, Halt on... "No errors").

You may start all your applications as services, but it's a little tricky and unconfortable to set up. Good side: no user interaction needed, ie. no login.

To login and control your "black box", use VNC (you do have a network cable between the apple and the windows booxes, do you?). Server on windows (before plugging out monitor and co!), client on apple.

Tip: use an USB mouse, so you may hot-plug it. Its not specified for a PS/2 mouse, and could freeze your PC if you do.

Thanks!

Just the information I was hoping for.

I checked out the VNC webpage and it sounds perfect, best of all its free.

By any chance, have you used it to interface an OSX and a WinXP machine? Just curious how well it works.

Also, what's the best way to set up programs to autorun at startup, and what if I need them to load in a very specific order? Are there any utilities that simplify this?

I appreciate your help,

Arman

There's a remote desktop client for OS X, that may work with Windows XP. I have used the OS X client to connect to a Windows Server 2003 terminal session before, but not an XP session.

VNC is a safe bet though. smile

As DosFreak would say, TightVNC is tight! laugh

Very Cool.

I'll start testing VNC tommorrow.

I was thinking of the KVM switchbox idea as well, but being able to take control of the rackmount with a single crossover cable to the laptop sounds alot sweeter.

Thanls again.

Also, if you want your XP machine to automatically login on boot, type;

control userpasswords2

into the run dialog and you have the option 'Users must enter a name and password to use this computer' uncheck it and you're away (this saves having to install TweakUI).

If it's XP Pro, definitely check out remote desktop. It performs a lot better than VNC. If it's XP Home, then definitely go the VNC route.

For a simple autologon, create a .reg file with following content:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

"DefaultUserName"="mynameisbond"

"DefaultPassword"="jamesbond"

"AutoAdminLogon"="1"

Be aware that this informations will stay uncrypted in the registry, so anybody with physical access to the PC will be able to see your password.

There is a commercial tool ("fire" something) to implement easily services, but restricted to 1 service for free.

Another option is to use following schema (registry hack again):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MyPleasantService]

"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001

"Group"="Base"

"Start"=dword:00000002

"Tag"=dword:00000001

"Type"=dword:00000001

"DisplayName"="You can type anything you want here, so it makes sens to be explicit"

"ImagePath"="\\??\\\\D:\\WINDDK\\2600\\tp\\simplet2\\simple\\sys\\i386\\simple.sys"

You then can type "net stop mypleasanntservice" to stop it (or start to make it work again) on a console. In this example, it's a (simple) driver I let my students write during a training.

Some very nice guys here, I'll definitely will come from time to time!

Didn't know this forum til recently (thanks Google, was searching some piece of information). Just lack a confortable way to get an overlook of all thread where I already posted (other thank bookmark it myself).

I'm happy every time I can help, as I also use a lot of work from people out there.

The registry hacks and code "tricks" are a bit scary for me, no experience with that stuff at all. (Maybe now's the time to learn,though)I'm strickly an audio pc freek.

But I greatly appreciate everyone's input.

Well, I havn't tried VNC yet because the remote desktop client for OS X seems to work just fine.

One question, though. How can I shutdown Windows XP remotely?

Will VNC allow this? If not, how harmful is it continually turn off the PC with Xp still running.

Maybe I can just go into the BIOS and tell it to go into sleep mode when using the power button? Eventually, the mains power to the rackmount will have to be removed when its time to take the show on the road.

Any ideas?

The registry hacks and code "tricks" are a bit scary for me, no experience with that stuff at all. (Maybe now's the time to learn,though)I'm strickly an audio pc freek.

But I greatly appreciate everyone's input.

Well, I havn't tried VNC yet because the remote desktop client for OS X seems to work just fine.

One question, though. How can I shutdown Windows XP remotely?

Will VNC allow this? If not, how harmful is it continually turn off the PC with Xp still running.

Maybe I can just go into the BIOS and tell it to go into sleep mode when using the power button? Eventually, the mains power to the rackmount will have to be removed when its time to take the show on the road.

Any ideas?

To shut XP down through the remote desktop interface, you can go to start -> run and type "shutdown /r /t <time in seconds, 0-600>"

If you're running VNC you can just go to the start button (in the remote VNC window, obviously smile ) and select shutdown, just as if you were sitting at the machine.

I wouldn't suggest switching off your machine without shutting down - while it may look OK, sooner or later your hard disk is going to start complaining!

Rgds

AndyF

hi, thread went slightly off topic, but enjoyed reading, i too have just discovered this site, courtesy of google.

I also have problems booting my standalone PC with no monitor connected.

If it is connected but switched off, it boots OK, if it is connected and switched on, it boots ok, but if its disconnected, the pc gives the post beep error (1 short and two long, or viceversa?!)

Will a switch definately work for this? is there a cheaper way to do it (im not complaining about the cost of a switch, but if i can fit the odd resistor here or there, it would be good!)

Any ideas?

Thanks!