Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BillyG.

XP (HOME) Task Manager tweak

I've often wondered if there is a way to have the columns in the PROCESSES tab sorted according to the user's liking upon opening, i.e, I always sort the MEM USAGE column so that the processes taking up the most memory are on top of the list; does anybody know how to tweak the registry to do this? TIA.

Thanks Adam. I've been using Process Explorer (from sysinternals) as of late but this feature has always been in the back of my head for Bill's taskmgr, appreciate your efforts.

If you find an answer, please post where/how you found it so I know to check there for other things in the future. TIA.

Ive had a good look at this and i think it is fairly safe to say that you cant do it with somekind of 3rd party involvement. That might be a replacement for task manager or somekind of wrapper that can send keystrokes as alec says.

I have found an interesting article here:

http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/W-P/system/taskmanager/article.php/c5763

I have run this and it is very handy indeed. I am sure if a C++ programmer is reading this then they might be able to get this app to order the columns.

The only configurable thing in the registry is this:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\TaskManager/Preferences

However this is changed when the active tab is changed or the view is changed in the active tab to show different columns. I dont know if this exists in the Home edition.

Ive also tried various parameters for taskmgr.exe but there doesnt seem to be any

frown

You've been very helpful and considerate, thank you for your time. (of course, I'll keep checking back...) Made it back in time to edit this post (after reboot) and I have to say that although it doesn't solve my inquiry, sysinternals utility is much better than the one from the posted article in the last msg. Not your fault of course ScinteX , but you may want to check it out on your own. TA.