Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gaviota

Windows XP Pro as a Terminal Server

I would like to set up a Windows XP Pro computer as a terminal server, but I can't get it to work with more than one concurrent connection. At the moment, if you log on to it while another user is connected, he will be disconnected. Is there a way to stop this from happening?

As far as I know, you cannot disable this feature. Partly due to security reason, but my best guess is that they (microsoft) don't want to overwork the WinXP and partly due to the licensing.

But there is another alternative to this is by using ThinSoft Winconnect Server XP. It enable RDP Client(s) to connect to your Windows XP Machine (but there is limitation. Max connection for RDP Client will be 21). Cool software but pricey (expensive). By the way RDP is the technology used in Windows 2000 Terminal Server and also in WinXP Pro. I have looking around for ages for alternative WinXP RDP Server but no luck.

Quote:
partly due to the licensing

What he said there is THE reason. XP Pro would handle multiple connections just fine. As for security, no, I don't think I will buy that one.

If you search around the internet you will find hacks to enable multiple connections, you have to hack a few registry keys and replace a file, it's a .dll, but I don't recall which one right at the moment.

As long as this isn't for a business / production (read you make money from it) setup then go for it. If it's one of the above scenarios then I would very highly suggest that you buy a copy of Windows server 2003 as this feature is supported in that OS.

edit:

here's a link that should help out nicely:

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=99609816&m=294000755631