Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Whiskers

Shockwave, Java, Flash, for linux?

Yes, I ask a lot of questions but I am learning a lot as I go smile

It appears that there isnt shockwave for linux, when I went to shockwave site.

Flash, ok I have flash installed, and I can play neopets games, but try a site like doom3.com and go to enter, and it doenst work properly. Any ideas?

Java, I know its installed, but Im not sure if I have java support in my browswer, anyone know how to test it?

When installing I can do the test directions, but when it comes to making symlinks Im utterly confused.

Doom3.com doesn't work for me either, I'm runnning flash 7 from debian unstable.

If you are using a Mozilla based Web browser you can check your plugin status by typing about: plugins in the url bar

Creating symlinks is not that bad.

Quote:
$ln -s file_location link_target

$ ls -l

file_location

link_target -> file_location

do i need to be in a certain folder to do that? and what does that $ mean, do i type that or does that merely mean, be in a terminal window?

Whiskers, which symlinks do you need to make? From Java for the java plugin in your browser? I believe the Flash install already makes the links for you but you have to tell it where to put it.

My example was a quick how to. The $ is nothing, ignore it, it was there to simulate a command prompt.

Think of symlinks like shortcuts. If you want to place a link from a file in /usr/bin to your home. you would type something like this assuming you are in your home directory

ln -s /usr/bin/file file

That would give you a symlink to the file in /usr/bin to your home directory.

What distro, Desktop, and, Browser are you using?

Its the java plugin, I needs a symlink, I I have java installed but i dont even remember where it is installed too.

When I installed StarOffice, it intalled the Java, I just need to make it work in Firefox.

I cant seen to find my install, would it be ok to downloaed the latest Java, and install that, even though I have an existing install?

oh and Distro is Mandrake 10 Official

Download: j2sdk-1_4_2_04-nb-3_6-bin-linux.bin with NetBeans from java.sun.com. It is a very large file, but after installation you can delete it and also delete Netbeans which it will also want to install in /opt. It's just easier to install this than the others.

'cd' to the directory where you downloaded it, and as root do:

chmod 777 j2sdk-1_4_2_04-nb-3_6-bin-linux.bin

then:

./j2sdk-1_4_2_04-nb-3_6-bin-linux.bin

The installer will come up. Follow the directions. Let the installer install it to:

/opt/j2sdk-1_4_2_04

After installation is complete, we now need to make the symbolic link. Open konsole and become root, then copy and paste this:

ln -s /opt/j2sdk1.4.2_04/jre/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so /home/Whiskers/.mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

...into konsole and press enter. That *should* create the symlink to make java plugins work with your mozilla browser, which will also make it work with Firefox. It does in Fedora, but we may have to do some tailoring as I've not tried it with Mdk 10.

Of course, change what I've underlined above to the actual name of your home directory. Good luck! smile

ok before I do that, I use firefox for my browswer installed in

/home/whiskers/firefox

other than changing the directory to firefox is everything else going to be the same?

best to ask now before I mess it up :P

Originally posted by iamroot:

Quote:
Doom 3 doesn't work for me either. Otherwise flash works fine for me.

No one I know who uses linux can access the doom3 site and all other flash sites seem fine, even flash games are no problem. smile

Umm, if I remember correctly, the reason some flash sites work fine and others don't, is because some of the flash sitesa use shockwave. And unless you have that plugin installed, you're going to have problems.

I've been having the same problem and have been actively searching the internet for a way to get the plugin to work in Linux. While flash player 7 is available for Linux based systems, shockwave is not.

If anyone has found out anything else, it would be greatly appreciated.

howdy JDBurnZ

@flash-sites under non-Win-OS'

though Macromedia has managed to produce some flashplayer-versions over the years that are somewhat "compatible" across the OS', there are still some exquisite differences. Most of all: the non-Windows-versions of the player don't support "transparent" movie clips.

That issue is as old as the average politician's lie, and Macromedia hasn't bothered over years to tackle it once and for all; see also: "Oh, sweet and powerful SVG-killer-app. Why dothest thou not cometh to me rescue?" (obviously I've been playing too much Thief III lately smile

I have only been to the Doom3 site under Linux for a brief moment, but what I have seen from the corner of my "developers" eyes it looked as if they've been using some transparency.

have a nice day

transparency is a bother when using Firefox or mozilla browsers... but, there is a solution... for me, I got a fresh install of Netscape 7.2 for Linux from Netscape's own site ( www.netscape.com ), and it comes with a version of Flash that supports transparency, I use SBC Yahoo and their Today module uses flash with transparent movies... Netscape WORKS... yes, stop looking at me like that, but it's the only browser on linux that works with those sites...

I hope it works on your distro... I tested it on Debian 3.1 (sarge) and on my current Fedora Core 3...

still, I wish it was on Firefox... frown