Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Riazmc

some new problems on mandrake 10

These questions might sound stupid but i've tried googleing and i can't find the answers!

once i installed linux it worked fine untill i rebooted, now i cant get past the login screen, i know the password i use is right, and i can get to the failsafe terminal. i've tried the various options ie; kde, gnome, default but when i login it jus brings me back to the same screen! whats going on!?

also just wondering how can i access files on my other hard drives?

any help would be gratefully recieved!

Have you tried logging in as root? Just type in "root" when it asks for user name, then for password, use your root password. Once "in" you can then use the user utiliity in the Mandrake Control center to re-configure your regular user name and password. Is this a fresh install, or do you have a /home partition left over from a previous Linux installation?

a rescue disk could be used to boot your system so you can reset all of the

account passwords.

always keep in mind that linux passwords are case-sensitive eVeN if you UsE

InterCapSpelling. wink

hello

i know my message is much latter than all of these posts, but i have the same problem. i have a frsh install to mandrake 10.1, and when i try and login, the system just goes back to the login screen.

iam am a newbee so please be easy on meee

thanks

Hi blaaBLAAA and welcome! smile

When it throws you back to the "sign in" screen, (kdm), do you get a message saying something about wrong username and or password? I ask this because if you don't, the problem you're having may have nothing to do with incorrect username and password.

If it is saying you put in the wrong username and/or password, just sign in as root. Type:

root [enter]

It will ask for root's password. type that in and press enter. You should then have an operational desktop environment as root. Now, look in your menu and find the Mandrake Control Center. Go into it and look for the utility that allows you to configure users and passwords. You can then fix the username and/or password you want to use as regular user. After that, log out to kdm and sign in as regular user under the name and password you just changed or fixed. If this doesn't work, please let us know.