Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
smithers

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL_TO NIGHTMARE !

Hi,

I come seeking expert advice, I have taxed my computer knowledgibility in solving this problem.

I have an IBM T41 (2373-7FU)Laptop. So far I've tried installing Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows 2003 on this computer and no matter which of the 3 operating systems I install I always encounter bluescreens indicating a 0x0000000A IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL to error. My first thought was that it was a hardware problem (probably RAM), I ran 3 sets of diagnostics software: memtest86, fore-front group's the troubleshooter and the IBM PC Doctor Diagnostics ... the hardware passed with each set of diagnostics.

My next guess was that it must be a software-related issue.

I've searched around google&microsoft but cannot find a solution to this problem.

The stop error mentions no conflicting device driver or file causing the errors. The bluescreens seem to happen randomely (ie: when I open messenger, surfing the web or just running a virus scan when I go to bed)

I've read that it might be driver related so I tried both the IBM device drivers from the IBM website and the Microsoft Windows Update drivers, this was done on fresh reinstallations of Windows for each set of drivers ... the results is the same IRQL error above.

I thought that it might be a heat-related issue so I throttled the CPU speeds in the power management section of the BIOS to their lowest settings ... that didn't help either.

The Event Log doesn't list anything in red that could give me a clue.

I really don't know what else to try ...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it is hardware. I've run into several instances of this problem, and every time it was a CPU/MBD/RAM problem. Sometimes bad hardware, sometimes incompatible hardware. Usually, the problem won't occur until the PC is warmed up, so take note when the problem starts. The only fix I've been able to come up with is replacing the whole assembly. I know this fix is nearly impossible on a laptop, but there it is.

Some other things you might try...

If you can disable all hardware caching in the BIOS, try that. The PC will run like molasses in the winter, but try running with these disabled for a while. Turn on each feature individually until the problem occurs.

I like diagnostic software. I sometimes even find it useful. Diagnostic software can't simulate what Windows is doing inside a PC, so mostly I don't use it.

Like I said, I hate to be the bearer of bad news....

If it is hardware related, you will not be able to do much about it, but you didn't mention when the problem first occurred. What operating system was installed on it originally? Did it start to misfunction and you installed other OS's or did you just "upgrade" and then afterward it started with the error messages? Do you have the latest BIOS version for that machine? Did you try to flash the BIOS? When you installed the other Os's did you clean install them or just have them overwrite what was there?

I had a machine that gave me this kind of error. It turned out not to be hardware but a corrupted font. Unfortunately, these bluescreen errors are not much helpful in diagnosing a problem. Most laptops come with a crash disk that contain the specific inf's for that machine. You should run this crash disk and let it clean install the original configuration. If it continues to bluescreen on you, there is a higher probability of certainty that it is hardware related.

I had the same error late last year. I spent countless hours debugging and troubleshooting. I had all the tools to debug, but I couldn't get a lead to a driver for some reason. For me, it ended up being a usb driver issue and only occured when I had my iomega CDRW plugged in. (Which was 99% of the time) Like the previous posters said, it may be hardware related, but I wanted to let you know my experience with that error. Good luck!

jmitchel, I agree with the comment about diagnostic software not really being able to simulate what windows does to hardware.

The IBM diagnostics software did have a burn-in option which basically works the computer for a specified interval, it runs the memory, HD, cpu, ram, cdrom and floppy under an intense load ... it didnt' freeze or crash.

Yesterday I downloaded a SUSE Linux Live CD and ran that for 10 - 15 mins and it didn't freeze or crash on me ... I am willing to bet that it's something windows-related, now what that is I don't know...

Sampson, yes all the computer is up to date with the latest bios and firmware fixes.

I will keep plugging away and hopefully figure something out, please keep the suggestions coming!

I had the same problem but mine sometimes occured as soon as windows started up. I got a blue screen with that annoying IRQL message. The problem is likely nothing to do with your hardware and most probably a driver issue, mine came from a driver which was signed by windows (Creative Audigy 2) and was solved with an update. Just have a look in "System Information" and see what IRQs are being shared. However, I've just installed XP SP2 and am now getting the same screen - phoned up my PC helpline and they said that it was a common issue with Sound Blasters, oh well, back to SP1 until they can be bothered to make a driver that actually works.

PS. I discovered what piece of hardware was the cause by taking out all of my PCI cards and reinserting them till I got the blue screen.