Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dapper Dan

Scanner recomendations

There are several scanners listed in the compatibility section that are reported to work perfectly with SANE, however many of them also seem to be getting "long in the tooth."

Does anyone have recommendations for a newer model scanner that works well? I prefer a flatbed, but any will do.

Thanks.

This isn't exactly what you ask for but...

6 months ago I got a Epson Stylus CX5400, USB Printer/scanner. It took them a couple of months, but Epson/kowa now fully supports the device. The printer is supported under Cups, and, sane recoginizes the scanner. You have to tweek the /sane.d/epson file, but otherwise it's a snap. I highly recomend that piece of hardware, but a lot of other USB scanners from epson now seem to be possible.

The epson kowa link is at: http://www.epkowa.co.jp/english/linux_e/index.html[/url}

Many of the drivers are (rpm) fedora specific.

My girl's old hp printer is as slow as cold honey, so I could justify the printer part as well. If I bought one, Would it be as simple as you sending me your tweeked file?

Just a note that my old Agfa Snapscan 1212 USB scanner has worked in Linux for some time. No problem.

My new Microtek C6 hates sane and grinds and snarls. Some posts recommend not using it in Linux. I can see why. So, I would stay away from this inexpensive model.

I like Jim's recommendation. Interesting!

I found this one at a much reduced price. I'm not seeing anywhere where this is a "refurbished" or "slightly used" model. It appears to be new. Is this too good to be true?

Originally posted by Dapper Dan:

Quote:
I found this one at a much reduced price. I'm not seeing anywhere where this is a "refurbished" or "slightly used" model. It appears to be new. Is this too good to be true?

Click on the 'rebate details' ;-)

"NOTICE: PC or Notebook purchase required for $50"

Hum... 79.99 +$50= 129.99

Unless you really want to buy a PC or Laptop?

You'd think since I'm in the radio advertising business these things wouldn't escape me..

Thanks!

smile