Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EddiE314

Your Opinions of Future Windows OS's

This is what I have come to undertand and is my opinion on the future of Operating systems, Feel free to leave your comments and opinions.

Windows 2000 (NT5) is just the next generation OS after Windows NT 4, not Windows 98. The next generation for Windows 98 is Windows ME (Millennium Edition) and thats the "Now" official name for it. I have Windows 2000 Pro on dual boot with Windows ME beta 2. I have not seen one crash or Illegal Operation in Win2K at all, thats because its based strongly on the NT Kernel, Windows ME on the other hand crashes as much if not more than Windows 95, 98, and 98 SE. I'm not one to try to judge a beta Operating system like Win ME, but I'm going to. Why stick the novice user with an operating system that crashes all the time? Being a Certified computer technician, I get lots of calls at work from customers asking: "What does this error mean...Illegal Oper..." You know what? I don't even see why Microsoft is even going with Windows ME. Windows 2000 may be a little more difficult to use but I'll trade that for a stable OS any day. To anyone out there who is even debating the idea of going with Windows 2K or Windows ME, seriously man, go with 2000, its going to save you alot of hassle in the future, even if you have to pay three times the amount it costs for Windows ME.

Operating systems on my computer right now:

Windows 2000 Professional

Windows 98 (some really old version)

I love win2k, it never crash, and it´s almost perfect.

Win98 is not good. I have tried win98se and windows millennium but they are worse than the old 98. That´s why I run the old 98 today. Perhaps, when windows millennium becomes beta 3 or release candidate, it will be better, but right now nothing beats windows NT, and I don´t think anything will. The NT kernel is so great, it improves everything compared with 98/millennium. Everything, all games and everything runs perfect under win2k.

That´s my opinion.

------------------

The MerceD has you...

Sys spec:

* P2-350

* 128RAM

* Voodoo3 2000

* SB AWE 64 Gold

* 10GB HD

* Win2k 2195

* ISDN with a ZyXel omni.net Plus

* HP DeskJet 720C

* Afga SnapScan 1212u

* Iomega USB-ZipDrive

win millenium = crap

win 2000 = best os.

Once compatibility isnt the issue anymore I believe most people will prefer win2k. Yes even home users. Its not hard to use at all.

In fact its very easy to use. And flexible enough to master.

I had many problems with NT 4.0 and my dualboard, so i decided to switch to NT5 (yeah NT5, i installed the Beta2 !!!) and to my surprise - my system was stable!!!

Since then (that has been for almost a year now) i'm using w2k (i've already upgrade from NT5 Beta 2) and never had a BSOD anymore.

I love this OS!!!

---------

Oliver

have phun and surf.to/comic

------------------

hope that helps

Oliver

have phun and surf.to/comic

Windows ME- no different than 98 for what I need it for, just a lack of drivers (rendition based vid card).

Windows 2000 pro 120 day ver.- Love it to death and usually never crashes.

Linux Red Hat 6.0-Had to bring this OS up for the simple fact that this NEVER crashes! Just sucks for games.

My system is a dual boot win95 (This was the cleanest (9x kernel and is somewhat stable sometimes) and Win 2000 Pro. I keep the win95 for game compatibility like bleem and some older games and games that just dont work in win2k.

The other system is my test box with win95 (for rendition CART racing) /windows 2000 server/and Red hat Linux 6.0. I find the linux just NEVER crashes and is a whole new experience in OS's. Helps out in Unix at work. And it is FREE! Not $999 with "license" fee's.

Why is Microsoft releasing the Millenium OS? One word.... MONEY!! You should know by now that Bill Gates just cares about money and not stability in OS's. From our standpoint, windows ME is crap and should never be released. From Bill's. It is just another cool billions to line his pockets.

Hell, now that I am on the suject, I recently read something that pissed me off about MS. When DR DOS was released, MS had written code into their own products so that when used on DR DOS, they would pop up with random error messages. Better products they say? Here is a great article here. Not long ago, I spent 700 dollars and much more for school to get and MCSE certification only to here a few months later, all MCSE's will be losing their certs and will have no choice but to re-certify now that win2k is out. This is like saying an auto mechanic get certified in 1998 on a '98 monte carlo, but now the 2000 models are out, he has to re-certify. There is not much difference in win2k than NT 4.0 with the exception of active directory and directX. I am using this at work, and there is nothing that I cant do that I could have done on win win40, except connecting to another server through computer management. But like I said, Bill Gates just wants his money and anyone who wants to keep his MCSE will have to play the game. So I, and many others, will be out another 400 dollars by the end of 2001.

I could go on and on about how I am starting to hate MS, but that is a different subject for a different forum. Just sucks that the industry made MS the standard and not a better, more stable OS. (Of course, I would then hate that OS eventually :P)

MS is releasing Windows ME because it is the predecessor to Windows 98 se, alot of people will buy it because of the low price it will probably have.

Tim Bazzinett Linux still got a long to go

check this from Matt

The Wendy Deprogramming Project "it funny hehe" http://www.osopinion.com/Opinions/MattPickering/MattPickering1.html http://www.osopinion.com/Opinions/MattPickering/MattPickering2.html

But it ture Netscape crashes all time under Linux not count all other mickey stuff like count hour's of configuration & compile can be a bit@h.

But I will say it has gotting a lot better

Windows2000 Rock on my server well over 1yrs

This is System 1 "Win2000 Server"

Intel 366 celeron PPGA

iWill LE370 Motherboard

Intel i740 8meg

2, 64meg SDRAM 168pin DIMM

Aureal Vortex 1

Western Digital 8.4gig IDE Primary

Realtek RTL8029(AS) PCI Ethernet NIC

ZyXEL 128k ISDN Omni.net

Diamond SupraSonic II 112k modem

Mitsumi FX240S !B

Packerd Bell 1024 Monitor

Microsoft PS/2 IntelliMouse with Wheel

Microsoft Natural Keyboard PS/2

This is System 2 "Win2000 Pro"

Intel 300a@450a celeron

Abit BH6 Motherboard

2, 128meg SDRAM 168pin DIMM

Creative Lab's SB Live! Value

Adaptec 2910c PCI

Mat****a CD-R CW-7501

Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1202

Western Digital 8.4gig IDE Primary

Hewlett Packard 420c Printer

Intel PC Camera Pack USB

Microsoft SideWinder 3D Pro

Microtek Scanmaker E3

Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer USB

Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro USB

ViewSonic G773

3dfx Voodoo3 2000 PCI 16meg

PCWorks FourPointSurround FPS1000 speakers

This is this System 3 "Win98se & OS/2 Warp 4"

Intel 300a celeron

Elitegroup P6LX-A+ Motherboard

1, 64meg SDRAM 168pin DIMM

Western Digital 8.4gig Primary

Toshiba CD-ROM XM-6402B

Microsoft Natural Keyboard PS/2

1 64meg SDRAM 168pin DIMM

Microsoft PS/2 IntelliMouse with Wheel

Labway Xwave 192 (D1X Series)

Creative Lab's Graphics Blaster RIVA TNT PCI 16meg

InterAct PiranhaPad PC

Star NX-2420 Rainbow

Sound Blaster SBS20 speakers

Mag 510V2

This is this System 4 My bother system "Win98se & Windows2000

One Junk Compaq 5340 system

Realtek RTL8029 Ethernet Adapter

ESS SOLO-1 PCI AudioDrive

Western Digital 4.3

Voodoo2 3D Accelerator

SiS 530 Video Display

Lexmark 3200 Printer

ProView 765

AMD K6 400

Compaq CRD-8322B

Logitech WheelMouse

InterAct PiranhaPad PC

Hey SHS, i got the same RealTek 8029 10baseT

card, it rocks, i got one in my dual boot Win2k/WinME system, and one in my Win98SE machine.