Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
choleskyf

dual boot - Win XP and Red Hat 9

Hi,

Sorry about the subject line which must have appeared several times, but I'm new to Linux and wanted to confirm before proceeding with installation. Is it ok to have a dual boot system having the structure:

100 MB ---- /boot

15GB ---- Win XP

20GB ---- FAT32(accessible to Win & Linux)

1GB ---- Linux Swap (my RAM is 512MB)

10 GB ---- /home

Then, install grub in the first sector of /boot. I have mostly seen people recommending having Win as the first partition.

Thanks

I would definately put XP first. You also are not showing a "/" partition. Here would be my suggestion:

15 GB ---- Win XP

10 GB ---- FAT32(accessible to Win & Linux)

100 MB ---- /boot

10 GB ---- /

1GB ---- Linux Swap

10 GB ---- /home

Do you really need your fat32 partition that large? Depending of course, I would think 5 GB would be a gracious plenty. Then you can divide the other 5 GB between / and /home...

15 GB ---- Win XP

5 GB ---- FAT32(accessible to Win & Linux)

100 MB ---- /boot

12.5 GB ---- /

1GB ---- Linux Swap

12.5 GB ---- /home

Unless you are using apps that need massive amounts of memory, you really don't even need the swap partition. I also have 512 MB, and my machine is noticably faster without a swap.

Just my two cents worth: Go with Fedora Core 1. with the updates, it's a big improvement over "9."

Thanks! Guess I'll move Win XP to the beginning. But since my Win partition is 15GB, the /boot will be beyond the 1024 cyl limit. Will that affect the grub management? Once I set everything up to run smoothly, I plan to have Win boot loader manage the start up.

Another thing I was not clear about - Is it better to have the grub in the MBR or in the first sector of /boot?? I have come across posts that say both are ok. Any pros and cons to either?

==================

Originally posted by Dapper Dan:

Quote:
I would definately put XP first. You also are not showing a "/" partition. Here would be my suggestion:

15 GB ---- Win XP

10 GB ---- FAT32(accessible to Win & Linux)

100 MB ---- /boot

10 GB ---- /

1GB ---- Linux Swap

10 GB ---- /home

Do you really need your fat32 partition that large? Depending of course, I would think 5 GB would be a gracious plenty. Then you can divide the other 5 GB between / and /home...

15 GB ---- Win XP

5 GB ---- FAT32(accessible to Win & Linux)

100 MB ---- /boot

12.5 GB ---- /

1GB ---- Linux Swap

12.5 GB ---- /home

Unless you are using apps that need massive amounts of memory, you really don't even need the swap partition. I also have 512 MB, and my machine is noticably faster without a swap.

Just my two cents worth: Go with Fedora Core 1. with the updates, it's a big improvement over "9."

I'm not familiar with Win boot loader. If that by chance means you are thinking of using boot magic that comes with Partition Magic, please stop now! Boot magic is a piece of garbage! I would strongly urge you to use grub as your boot manager. Also, I've had much better luck installing grub at first sector than at the MBR. Just my personal preference though. If your machine is fairly new, the 1024 barrier shouldn't be an issue.

I would get XP up and operational first, then move on to Linux. If for some reason you mess up the install to where grup won't work, Just put the install cd's back in as an upgrade, and when prompted, write an entirely new grub boot scenario.

Be sure to create an XP boot floppy, and also a Linux boot floppy when prompted to do so. It can be a life saver to have an operational Linux OS from which to correct problems.

Good Luck, and let us know if you need further help. smile

If you are referring to the boot.ini file for XP, it can be done, but as Dan said, it's much easier using grub. As Dan also said, if you are looking to modify a 3rd party boot manager, such as Boot Magic, expect some issues.

Hi

Maybe I can help someone smile .

Here is how I have done it on my system:

-15GB WindowsXP © drive formatted to FAT32 for access from linux

-25GB for the linux installation.

-Other system partitions to their default values.

This is EXACTLY how I got my dual boot system (It is pretty straightforward).

-Insert WinXP CD and boot.

- Start an installing and when you get to formatting options do the following:

>Delete existing data partitions.

>Create a new partition from the unpartioned space (using ONLY the space what you want WindowsXP partition to take up)

>Format the drive as FAT32 (so you can mount the windows drive from linux for access).

-Once WinXP is installed insert the RedHat9 CD and reboot.

-Install linux in the remaining unpartitioned space.

-Configure the boot loader (I use GRUB)

Hope this helps.

Koba