Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jivoien

NAT/ICS for Windows 2003 using an ISDN modem

Hello,

I am new here and this is my first post. I was searching for my problem on the internet and stumbled upon this forums.

My problem is I can not share our internet connection in our LAN. We have a Windows 2003 server which has an Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem connected to it. I wish to share this internet connection to the rest of Windows XP Pro computers in our LAN.

ICS does not seem to work(Is it because AD, DNS, WINS or DHCP is enabled in the win 2k3 server?) So I decided to configure a NAT but then I have problems making the modem appear as one of the interfaces for a NAT/Basic Firewall setup.

Any help would be appreciated or links that I can read about this topic. I have exhausted all the information in the microsoft support web site.

Thank you and best regards to evryone!

Oh my. Where to start. You have a DC that is *directly* connected to a DSL modem without a hardware firewall? You want to use ICS?

I would HIGHLY recommend you rethink that idea. Anything would be better, even a SOHO router like a Linksys BEFSR81 (8 port switch with routing/NAT).

If you insist on trying to use your existing hardware, you should really look into installing ISA Server 2004 on that server.

I would never, never, never recommend a "live" DC ever be connected directly to the internet without a router/firewall/packet filter before it.

Thanks for the reply.

The windows 2003 server would have a firewall software installed on it or the at the very least we can use the built-in firewall. And besides security is not an issue for us right now but to share the internet connection. So what should I do to share it?

Hello,

I am new here and have the sma problem as jivoien . I was searching for my problem on the internet and stumbled upon this forums.

My problem is I can not share our internet connection in our LAN. We have a Windows 2003 server which has an Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem connected to it. I wish to share this internet connection to the rest of Windows XP Pro computers in our LAN.

ICS does not seem to work(Is it because AD, DNS, WINS or DHCP is enabled in the win 2k3 server?) So I decided to configure a NAT but then I have problems making the modem appear as one of the interfaces for a NAT/Basic Firewall setup.

Any help would be appreciated or links that I can read about this topic. I have exhausted all the information in the microsoft support web site.

Thank you and best regards to evryone!