Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hykster

+3.3V Out of Threshold Error message

My +3.3V rail is running at about 2.76V right now. I've just built this new computer and things were running fine. Last night when I went to work, I leave my computer on all the time while I'm away, and then I came back home from work this morning, my monitor was a black screen and it seemed that my system came to a halt. I booted it to the BIOS screen and it came up with an error message in the hardware monitor.

So, I check it out and it's RED, 2.76 and the same states in my ASUS probe prog. Is this a possible PSU failure? I haven't had this problem before till now. I built this computer about 2 weeks ago.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this? I've tried checking to see if the motherboard was touching the chassis and it's not and I've moved around a few of my PCI cards to different slots and it seemed to gain a bit more voltage but not enough to where I can't play a 3D game, because then the system halts and I have to do a hard boot.

Thanks for your help.

My system specs are this:

ASUS P4G8X Deluxe Mobo

Pent IV 3.06 Ghz Socket 478 Northwood CPU

1 GB PC2100 DDR RAM

Antec 400W PSU

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

SoundBlaster LIVE Audigy 2 EX 6.1

120 GB Maxtor HD

10 GB Maxtor HD (backup-slave)

MATSHITA DVD-ROM

HP 9500+ CD-R/W

I've noticed Asus PC Probe utility to freak out more often. While that is kinda low, I don't believe the 3.3V rail is as critical as the 5V and 12V ones. However, I would go and exchange the power supply (or buy one if you can't return it), of good quality. Antec is good, but if you're a little skeptical now, that's fine. Sparkle (and Fortron---same company, different names) are good and cheap. If you have some cash to blow, you might look at something from PC Power and Cooling---basically the best PSU's you can buy.

Well, even in the bios, it shows that the voltage is running way low than 3.3v. Someone said it could be the RAM, but I dunno. I just got back and bought an ATX power supply tester and everything checks out... hmmm.....

Hey Hykster

I'm having the exact same problem and I've been searching on the internet for a solution. Everything thing i've seen says that if you test the power supply and the 3.3v rail checks out then the problem is somewhere else. The main solution they gave was start removing parts and see if having one removed solves the voltage problem. If that doesn't work replace the Mobo. I have an Asus P4Pe and in the bios my 3.3v is down around 2.9. My computer crashes only when I run high end graphics games such as World of Warcraft. Otherwise my computer works fine. Have you found a solution cause no one knows one that I've found.

Duff