Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kirk1176

Deletion of old user folder

I recently reinstalled WinXP over an older install and found that my old user directory under 'Documents and Settings' was till there after the rebuild. Problem is I can no longer open/explore/delete this directory and I want to get rid of it. I'm assuming the security rights associated with it from the old install of XP are still tied to the dir and therefore with the new install, I don't have the rights required to remove the directory.

Any pointers?

Here is a number of suggestions from some of the members here:

jerry atrik

find the file u want to delete and right click on it

then properties, then the security tab on top.

it shows a list of people and things with permissions

remove them all. if a box pops up saying that inherited permissions rule

then hit that advanced button and uncheck the inherited permissions.

adamvjackson

@Stake security (http://www.atstake.com) has a WFPdisable tool that (temporarily) disables Windows File Protection, for when you need to replace protected files.

Possible software tools:

Moveonboot (you target it for deletion, then when you reboot it is deleted:

http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html

Said to be able to remove an active file - drdelete:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,7374516~mode=flat~days=9999~start=20

Or, you can open a Dos Prompt. Then bring up the task manager (CTRL-SHIFT-ESC) click on explorer.exe and hit end task (which will make your desktop look wonkie), click back into the dos window and maneuver your way through the subdirectories (cd \ (your path to the subdirectory) stopping in the subdirectory in which this directory is found, then typing "attrib (directory name) -rsh) then del (directory you want to delete) To get out of the Dos Window, type exit. Once back at the desktop click on the start button, Run, type in explorer.exe or you can reboot)

[Edited by Sampson on 2004-07-24 10:09:27]

Tried seom of these before I posted the message and tried the additional software and none of that works either. I think the issue is that I'm trying to remove a directory rather than a file.

I can't even enter the directory to see the files in the first place. Any other suggestions?

Can you manuever to the directory through a Dos prompt? If so, did you remove the file attributions for it. Normally, the command to take out a directory is rd \. However, sometimes you can't remove the directory since there are files still in it, if it's behavior is like the old Dos directories. If you can get into the directory itself, delete those files first then get back into the directory in which the desired deletion directory resides and remove it (rd \directory name). Or see if you can rename the directory first (ren directory newdirectoryname)

Quote:
I recently reinstalled WinXP over an older install and found that my old user directory under 'Documents and Settings' was till there after the rebuild. Problem is I can no longer open/explore/delete this directory and I want to get rid of it.

You could simply reuse your old profile, complete with a lot of settings if you'd like rather than just get rid of it.

However, to answer your question, what you need to do is first make sure that under folder options that simple file sharing is NOT enabled if XP Pro. If XP home, you will have to boot into safe mode to do this.

You have to be logged in as an user with admin rights to do the following.

Now, if you right click on the folder and choose properties, then go to the security tab. Then choose advanced. Go to the owner tab and change owner to the currently logged in user. Now you can set permissions, give yourself full control and then delete the folder.

Let me know if this helps; if not I've got one more thing to try.

Thanks zen, that did the trick. Bloody XP Simple Filesharing didn't let me see the specific attributes. Doh!

I can now clear out a couple of gig from my HD smile

Thanks to all.