Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
curious_george

win98

i'm trying to resurrect an older (400mhz, celeron, 128mb ram) win98 SE machine. it has 2 hard drives in there set on primary master and primary slave. the bios recognizes it and it seems to be in the device manager.(seems - b/c there is a listing for a secondary ide controller) any ways i was wondering why when i open "my computer" the second drive is not recognized. is there any thing i need to do to get win98 to see the other drive(the one hooked up as prim. slave)

G

Does the second disk have a valid (fat/fat32) partition? Has that partition been formated (again, fat/fat32)?

I'd recommend running FDISK from within windows on the drive. FDISK runs about 10X as fast inside of windows and works identically (that is you still have to reboot the whole system [so don't hold down shift while restarting]). You'll want to see what partition structure and file systems are in use on the drive that isn't working. You may want to set the primary partition on the second drive to inactive (not hidden).

Good Luck,

Christian Blackburn