Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
julissa46

windows 98 internet problem.....

i've had this problem for a while already, there are certain sites that the internet explorer or the internet from my provider both won't let me open.. it just tells me

HTTP 400 - Bad Request

and i checked on the internet options of the IE to see if it had the restricted sites and there were none on there... how can i open those pages???

but thats not the only problem i have... this has happened in the last few days around the time when i fixed my MSPaint program, because i was having a problem w/ it, and i found a solution by deleting the registry and it would fix like that by the time i opened the program again it'd recreate its registry keys.. but i dont know if thats what has affected my internet because sometimes after a little bit of time that i've been online (dial up) it kind of loses my connection but it doesnt disconnect me, it just won't let me open any page and just says, on the navigation bar:something like i'm not exactly sure if this is exactly it,

resC:/windows/system/shdocc.dll/nav (and it had something after it...)

and i was wondering if that was affected by the time i deleted the registry for the paint program and why is it affecting my internet and how can i fix it?.. thanks for the help.!!!

I've seen this happen to W98 when 1) AOL messes up the TCP/IP connections, 2) an old version of Ad-aware removes a registry key disabling IE and 3) when a virus, trojan or BHO has attached itself. If you are pretty certain this wasn't caused by an old version of Ad-Aware, download program - LSP fix and run it:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4180.html

With some luck this should restore the layer that may have been removed. LSP fix is a little intimi[censored], but read the screen closely. You are looking to restore the lsp.dll

Then, download and run Spybot and BHO Demon just to be sure that it wasn't a bug that may still be in the system. If you are not using the newest Ad-Aware, upgrade it and then run it.