Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dapper Dan

Format USBstick EXT2 !

Just had some interesting things happen with my USB stick. I've been playing around with the new Kanotix with the 2.6 kernel which, like most Knoppix based live CD's, will let you create a persistent home directory somewhere so your configuration files will be saved. You just add home=/dev/###

to the end of the boot script and Kanotix will use that as /home.

I've never been crazy about the fat32 file system, which is what comes standard on most USB memory devices, and am really afraid of Fat 32 since my disaster earlier this year loosing a bunch of very important files and documents that were saved in a fat32 partition.

When you create this persistent home directory on a usb stick (/dev/sda1) Kanotix/Knoppix says it wants to format it with ext2!

Hurray! Now I can easily format USB sticks with ext2 rather than fat32.

I ran into a minor problem though. While I was searching for some cool Debian wallpapers in Kanotix, and storing them in this persistent home directory, I ran across one I really wanted to use on my regular Fedora Core 1 desktop. When I booted into Core 1 and tried to acess the USB stick, I got errors and it wouldn't mount! Silly me! I quickly figured out I had to then change my /etc/fstab to reflect that /dev/sda1 was now using ext2 rather than fat32. After rebooting I was then able to mount the usbstick and retrieve that wallpaper!

God I love Linux!! smile