Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
txguy07

CD Burner Dissapeared off WINDOWS ME, NEED HELP, PLEASE

I really, really need some help. One day I left to my aunts house and my computer was working fine before i left, and when i came back i was about to burn a CD when I opened Nero and it said that I didnt have a CD Burner, then I checked in "My Computer" and it was not there. I dont know what happened to it, it just dissapeared as if it was never there, I already checked the IDE cables and thats not the problem, I even restored my computer back to factory defaults and still the computer does not recognize the drive, I know its powered on because when i press the eject button the cd tray comes out and i place a cd in it, but it doesnt play it or read it, its as if the drive didnt exist, and well i guess to the computer the drive does not exist. CAN ANY ONE PLEASE HELP ME, this is REALLY IMPORTANT, and I need to fix it as soon as POSSIBLE, ANY HELP would be GREATLY APPRECIATED, ONCE AGAIN THANKS. smile

Two things you can do that will help you to know what is going on.

1) Right click on My Computer and choose Properties. Choose the Hardware tab or button and then bring up the device manager. If there is a big yellow exclamation point next to the CD/DVD drives, it means that windows drivers have lost track of the CD. If you click on the "+" sign and don't even seen the CD listed, but there is another Exclamation point by Other device, windows thinks that your CD is a different device than what it is.

2) When you boot up your computer, you are given an option to get into the BIOS (by hitting DEL or ESC or F3). Hit that button, go into the Bios and see if it sees your CD Drive. If it isn't found in the Bios, it may mean that there is something wrong with the drive. If it is there, then it is probably a Windows problem.

If it is a windows problem, go back to your device manager and delete the CD Rom drive (and if there is an "Other" with a question mark. Some people at this point try to install the hardware when windows prompts them. Others choose to reboot first and let windows find "New Hardware" and then install the "drivers".