Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Koba

Various problems

Hi

I can't seem to get any cds to play any music using the cd player even though the cd drive and sound card are working (I can hear all the test sounds and installed Red Hat by cd). I'm running Red Hat 9.

The cd player retieves track information correctly but clicking play doesn't result in anything coming out the speakers.

Can anyone please help?

Koba

I experienced the exact same problem when i used redhat 9. There's nothing wrond. Just go into the volume settings and raise the bar under "CD". That's it. The volume is set to low by default.

Hi

I wish it was that easy. I've raised all the bars in the volume control of the "Sound & Video" tool in the Red Hat menu. That hasn't fixed the problem. Maybe there is another volume control elsewhere?

Koba

I just ran into this same problem with Fedora Core 1. The Gnome-CD just will not work for me no matter what I try. The solution I found was to disable Gnome-CD from starting everytime you put a music cd in, and use XMMS configured with the CD audio player plugin, [libcdaudio.so] If you have apt-get installed, use the Fresh rpms repositories for RH 9 and you can install it from there. XMMS is a better player anyway..

Hi

I've disable GNOME cd from running when the cd is mounted and I've got XMMS installed. I've tried opening "track4.cda" (for example) and it looks like it is trying to play. No sound comes out the speaker though. I find this real strange as when I do the sound card detection test, I hear wonderful guitar strumming in stereo! I've also got sound events enabled and they work fine. Editing libcdaudio.so in XMMS didn't work either. The thing is the cd drive is working and reading data!

Please help!

Koba

Koba, this is so strange! I just had this exact same thing happen to me yesterday morning on a DJ box I built for a friend! LOL!

The fix I found was to go into options/preferences-configure CD Audio Playerand under "Play Mode" switch it from "Analog" to "Digital audio extraction." Below that under "Volume Control" I also changed from "OSS Mixer" to "No Mixer."

Try that and see what you get. By the way, just in case you don't know, with XMMS you have to kill then restart it for any changes to take effect. Let me know how you come out. smile

EDIT: Also, since you said "track1" it makes me bekieve you were trying to play songs without being online. Otherwise, CDDB would kick in naming the song. If you play music without Internet connection present, (which of course is perfectly fine), go under "CD Info" and disabble CDDB. Otherwise, XMMS will hang looking for CDDB which it won't be able to reach.

Hi

I feel we are now getting somewhere. What you said sounds about right but it isn't quite enough. x)

I oppen XMMS go to options/preferences and configure the CD audio player 1.2.7 plugin (enabled). Thats fine. But I can't find "Play mode" anywhere. I see "Device" (Device/Directory), "Volume setting" (OSS Mixer/ CDROM drive) and then the "CD info" tab with "CDDB" ," CD Index" and "Track names" disabled.

I've done a little more investigation: with earphones connected to the stereo socket from the front of my cd drive I can listen to the music. XMMS can pause/play and change the tracks. Thing is I want that coming out my speakers! I also know XMMS can play .wav files perfectly well so it is something to do with the cdrom. If only I could find those options you are talking about....

Koba

Koba, now that you have an Internet connection, I would go with apt-get rpm using the Fresh RPMS repositories and install everything related to XMMS. It's strange that you don't have those options! My version of the plugin is 1.2.10 which has those options. Did you pick up the very latest version of XMMS somewhere?

Hi

Thank for your help.

Using synaptic, all my xmms stuff seems up-to-date and the repository being used (as far as i can tell) is http://ayo.freshrpms.net/. I am now installing everything that comes up under an xmms search which isn't already installed. I doubt it is going to help (seeing there is no entry for the cd player plugin). How can I get the 1.2.10 version of the plugin if apt-get tells me I have the most recent version?

Koba

Synaptic should list the plugin you installed. Uninstall it with Synaptic, then click "refresh" in the upper left. Then look back for the CD plugin, and it should list the earlier version number, then install it.

I did it! laughlaugh

I'm afraid, your method didn't work for me. I couldn't find the plugin anywhere with synaptic. What I did instead was to find xmms on the web and then installed the rpm manually. The plugin comes as part of xmms I think which I couldn't update with synaptic.

After installing, you were exactly right smile (it still didn't play through the speakers). Changing the setting to "digital" got it going so thanks to you I can type this while listening to the Matrix soundtrack. 8)

I got my CD-RW drive working today, compiled the blender source code successfully using scons, figured that you can actually log in as root :x (instead of retyping my password all the time), figured you can use the msn network with amsn AND now have music! Today has been quite a productive!

I am never going to go back to windows now. Linux is supperior in every possible way (except perhaps the boot time and those annoying rpms). I am really happy with my system now. I couldn't have done it without your help.

Now I will look into compiling the Wacom drivers and getting my scanner working. I also have to look into Wine. None of these things are priorities. Oh. And and do you know of a good GNU FTP uploader I can use?

Thanks again.

Koba

About the FTP uploader, there are two that I think stand out. KBear and Krusader. Both allow drag and drop from one machine to another.

I've used both, and believe Krusader to be far superior to KBear, but of course everyone will have their opinion smile

I just assumed that the CD plugin was a stand alone. I think you are right in that it does come standard with XMMS.

It does sound like you've had a good day. Just remember:

You learn 10 times more on a bad day with Linux than on a good day with Windows! wink

Installing and using krusader is easier than falling down the stairs (but significantly more pleasant). smile

I have now got excellent FTP access to my webspace. I'll go and find myself a GNU HTML editor because, frankly, I think you've helped me enough for now.

"You learn 10 times more on a bad day with Linux than on a good day with Windows!"

I disagree. More like a 100 times more smile. I haven't learnt anything interesting about Windows in years.

Koba

Nice job DapperDan!

HTML editors...Quanta Plus is very good, and Bluefish is another. Nvu is a new one out by the makers of Linspire, but can be used in any distro. Nvu also has a ftp uploader which I have not tried yet. We won't talk about the free Windows HTML editors...unless you want to.