Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
danleff

anyone got a good bittorrent howto

I would like to downoad Fedora Core 2, but it seems bittorent is the only viable way to go right now. Tried the cd iso's first and got as far as

btdownloadgui /home/XXX/FC2-i386-isos.torrent

But t always times out with the tracker error...forever.

Anyone got a good tutorial/howto?

can anybody tell me what is bittorrent and how to use it? I intend to download FC2 as well but its a bit too large.

Bittorrent is basically a file sharing system for Linux.

It is a very interesting way to get Linux distros since

you will quite often find you are downloading and uploading

at the same time.This is because by, using Bittorrent to download ,you are part of a network consisting of thousands of bittorrent users and someone is downloading a file that is in your bittorent folder.More users connecting actually increases your download speed.

Bittorrent is unique and fast because it doesn't usually download from one site.Instead it downloads bits and pieces from many different users and rebuilds the file on your computer.

Bittorrent is fast and you are expected to participate by leaving your connection to bittorrent open when you can to increase bandwidth and download speed for other users.

When you first start using bittorrent,you will find it fast and effecient.

However,depending on you,it may get faster or slower.This is because you have some controll over who may download from your computer.After you use bittorrent for a while users start noticing whether you give and take or just take and respond in kind.If you remain connected often,your downloads will get faster.If you always connect , download and disconnect,your downloads will get slower because many users who stay connected will block you from thier

thier computers.