Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jarves

winex

i have downloaded a winex rpm, if i install it directly can i play starcraft now or do i have to download a binary??? where do i have to install it anyway???

cd to the directory where you downloaded the winex3 rpm, become root, and go:

rpm -ivh winex3-3.3.2-1.i386.rpm [enter]

It should install without incident. Then put the Starcraft cd into your cdrom and type:

mount /mnt/cdrom [enter]

cd /mnt/cdrom [enter]

ls [enter]

Which will show..

autorun.inf directx5 help install.exe isp sc.ico setup.exe smackw32.dll

then go:

winex3 install.exe [enter]

...which will bring up the Starcraft installer. Follow the directions, and Starcraft will then install into your .transgaming/c_drive/Program\ Files directory.

To run, log back in as regular user and go:

winex3 -workdir ".transgaming/c_drive/Program\ Files/Starcraft" StarCraft.exe -opengl [enter]

You can create a desktop shortcut to it using the above command to run. You can copy and paste the above commands if you use the "konsole" terminal.

what does the -workdir mean????

the winex i downloaded is not 3.3.2, but lower version, winex3.3.2 is the new release version, mywinex version is the version before that, does that mean that i have to replace those 3.3.2 with whatever my version is.

Where will i execute the rpm command, does anywhere will do???

how can i change the path so that whenever i will try to execute new binaries from the console, the binary will run???

And also where will the files for the wine rpm be installed? where can i find its executable???

and also what does the back slash \, in Program\ Files mean???

Originally posted by jarves:

Quote:
what does the -workdir mean????
That lets winex know which directory to work out of..

Quote:
the winex i downloaded is not 3.3.2, but lower version, winex3.3.2 is the new release version, mywinex version is the version before that, does that mean that i have to replace those 3.3.2 with whatever my version is.
yes..

Quote:
Where will i execute the rpm command, does anywhere will do???
Just follow the steps above. The RPM knows where to install itself..

Quote:
how can i change the path so that whenever i will try to execute new binaries from the console, the binary will run???
If you run Windows executables with winex3, and you cd to the directory where the chosen .exe is, and open it using winex3, such as..

winex3 bobswordprocessor.exe

...winex will attempt to run it.

Quote:
And also where will the files for the wine rpm be installed?
/usr/lib

Quote:
where can i find its executable???
/usr/bin

Quote:
and also what does the back slash \, in Program\ Files mean???
In Windows, its just "Program Files." In Linux, if you use a space between two words, you must let it know to "read" that as a space. The way you do that is putting a \ before that space to tell it that it's there.

do i have to uninstall wine before i install winex or i will just leave wine as it is???

do i have to uninstall wine before i install winex or i will just leave wine as it is???

my winex is winex-3.3.1-1.i696.rpm when i run it after the installation, will the command to run it be winex3 starcraft.exe???

or just winex??

Quote:

No. The two run independantly of each other.

Quote:

Leave, "as is."

Quote:
my winex is winex-3.3.1-1.i696.rpm when i run it after the installation, will the command to run it be winex3 starcraft.exe???

or just winex??

All winex after "3" are started with winex3

Originally posted by iamroot:

Quote:
is it true that winex cannot work with redhat?

If it is, then I've been hallucinating when I've been busting some serious ass in Team Fortress Classic. Also, all the Starcraft, Trespasser, Opposing Force, Half-Life, Blue Shift games were my imagination as well. I can't imagine why I thought I was playing those games under winex in Red Hat 9 and Fedora Core one.. wink