Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SoulNothing

mandrake 10 ce ???s

first i want to know if linux handles dual monitor support i got a nvidia 5200 plus 128mb card that allows for it but i cant figure it out

2ndly got to get my cd player to work i tried changing the mnt points etc. but it doesnt seem to be auto mounting and now its saying the mnt point isnt present

it says nautilus was unable to mount the selected drives

i have a cendyne cd rw and a jlms dvd

cd player partially fixed just won work under gnome

but im having issues with my audigy

heres some things bout it

under system config

Vendor: ‎Creative Labs

Alternative drivers: ‎snd-emu10k1

Bus: ‎PCI

Bus identification: ‎1102:4:1102:58

Location on the bus: ‎2:7:0

Description: ‎EMU10K2 Audigy Audio Processor

Module: ‎audigy

Media class: ‎MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO

Driver Snd-intel8x0

need any more info just ask

thanks in advance

runnning mandrake 10 ce

[Edited by soulnothing on 2004-04-21 17:24:56]

I'll take a stab at the sound.

Does this motherboard have onboard sound? If so, and you are using an add-on card for audigy, disable the sound for the onboard card in the bios.

If not, alsa may be disabled by default. Type alsamixer in a terminal window and see if the volumes are set up. If not, set them all the way up. See if this has any effect. You can refer to the following thread;

http://gooeylinux.org/forums/index.php?s...entry3392

In terms of the dvd and cdrw, how are the jumpers set up on each drive? master..slave? Do either work in any other OS?

Some cdrw and dvd drives insist on being set to master. Do the drives show up in dmesg? As what? hdc..hdd..etc..

I don't use Gnome, so I am going to stick to the basics of how the drives are/should be set up.

first off

dvd drive master

cd rw slave

and dont worry about gnome its just under gnome and i dont care what desktop manager i use as long as its linux

odd thing is i booted linux to check out whether it read the audigy didnt see so i unplugged it and plugged it back in guess thats the term coulkdnt find it and then i noticed the whole driver cab went cablooie not that i care but just an odd side note of what happened after installing mandrake next can i get like adobe photoshop and macromedia mx on here i have both of them i just wanted to know because it hasnt associated exe yet

thanks for the response danleff

oh and onboard video and sound are dissabled

now i just need to figure out dual monorting

Sound server informational message:

Error while initializing the sound driver:

device: default can't be opened for playback (No such device)

The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

got this after messing with the alsamixer

and im lost now for this comes up when i type alsa mixer into the cli

[soul@localhost soul]$ alsamixer

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device

[soul@localhost soul]$

agggh should i just reinstall mandrake

gidday soulnothing,

I have a couple of ATIs and GF5200-machines running with TwinView. So help is on its way. Will post you a link to one of my XF86Config-4 that should demonstrate how to set up TwinView with them 5200-cards. Just lemme get to the office

cu smile

'lo again ... let's rock ...

@TwinView ..

"first i want to know if linux handles dual monitor support i got a nvidia 5200 plus 128mb card that allows for it but i cant figure it out"

Yup, Linux (and therfore MDK10) handles TwinView/DualMonitor setups beautifully. We have a bit of luck as I run several ATIs and GF5200 in such a setup. To make the whole thing work, a procedure like this is recommended ...

1: Download NVIDIA-drivers

Fetch the proprietary drivers from NVIDIA's website. Choose "Graphics driver" -> "GeForce" -> "Linux IA32". Latest package is "v1.0-5336".

2: Install the NVIDIA-drivers

a: Before you can install the drivers you have to make sure the kernel-sources are installed and in place. The NVIDIA-installer expects the kernel-sources in "/usr/src/linux", and that's the place where they should be if you've installed the Mandrake kernel-source-RPM (you can do that e.g. in DrakConf).

b: Leave any graphical environment like KDE or GNOME and switch to a root-console (e.g. with "user@mybox>init 3"), changing to the directory you have d/l the drivers into. Launch the installer by typing ...

root@mybox>./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.mun

The installer will then ask about the ususal license agreement and whether it should try to d/l a suitable driver-module from nvidia.com, and finally (in case it can't find a suitable one) if it should compile a module.

Confirm all of those with "OK"/"ACCEPT" and let the installer do its job (compile). After the driver is built, proceed to step 3 ...

3: Editing XF86Config-4

Open the X-config file (root@mybox>emacs /etc/X11/XF86Config-4).

This is where you will bring the new driver to life. Firstly -as described in the rather lengthy but detailled NVIDIA-README (in "/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0" I think) - disable the stuff that doesn't go well with the new driver:

Disable the modules "dri" and "GLcore"

(e.g. by commenting out the respective lines in XF86Config-4)

Secondly you need to change the current GFX-card-driver to the newly compiled one.

Search for driver entry "nv" and change it to "nvidia"

4: Setting up TwinView/ServerLayout

Let me get a bit detalled here to explain how NVIDIA handles that thing: ...

Normally XFree86 puts together the entries in XF86Config-4 to set up a coherent basis for a graphical-environment. E.g. like this ..

"ServerLayout"

--> uses some >> "Screen"

On the machines here, the "ServerLayout"-section of XF86Config-4 looks like this ...

#######################################

### SERVER LAYOUT

Section "ServerLayout"

....Identifier "Twin"

....Screen "screen1"

....InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"

....InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

....#Option "blank time" "10"

....#Option "off time" "20"

EndSection

(I apologize for the dots smile

As you can see, the layout utilizes a device called "screen1", so the next thing to do is to create and adapt this suitable TwinView-device "screen1" ...

4.1: Setting up TwinView-device "screen1"

Search for a line labled »Section "Screen"« (or create a new section) and edit it to look similar to this one ...

##### SCREEN LEFT #####################

Section "Screen"

....Identifier "screen1"

....Device "TwinView"

....Monitor "monitor1"

....DefaultColorDepth..24

....# only modes 8+24

....Subsection "Display"

........Depth 8

........Modes "1440@85"

....EndSubsection

....Subsection "Display"

........Depth 24

........Modes "1440@85"

....EndSubsection

EndSection

The above section "defines" the properties and parameters for your left screen. The first thing that is of interest is the line »Device "TwinView"«. This tells us that the "screen1" is operated by the device "TwinView" (the gfx-card). Let's have a look at how this gfx-card is defined in XF86Config-4 ...

4.2: Setting up the GFX-card-device "TwinView"

The section where "TwinView" is defined is one you have to manually add to your X-config-file ... so add something like this ...

## TWIN VIEW DEVICE

Section "Device"

....Identifier "TwinView"

....VendorName "nvidia"

....Driver "nvidia"

....BusID "PCI:2:0:0"

....Option "NvAGP" "1"

....Option "DPMS"

....Option "RenderAccel" "1"

....Option "CursorShadow" "0"

....Option "TwinView"

....Option "ConnectedMonitor" "crt,crt"

....Option "TwinViewOrientation" "RightOf"

....Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-90"

....Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "60-140"

....Option "MetaModes" "1440_85,1440_75;1400x1050,1400x1050;"

EndSection

Here we come to the heart of the whole setup ... It's the place where you have to insert your compiled driver (»Driver "nvidia"«) and where you add a lot of NVIDIA-specific options, that define the TwinView-setup. Let's check those out ...

Option "TwinView"

this enables the TwinView-mode

Option "ConnectedMonitor" "crt,crt"

This tells the Nvidia-driver what display types are attached to the gfx-card

Option "TwinViewOrientation" "RightOf"

This tells the driver where the 2nd monitor is placed (in our case: monitor 1 is the primary monitor, connected to the VGA-plug, and right of it is the 2ndary monitor, attached to the DVI-plug)

Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-90"

This defines the 2ndary monitor's capabilities. Adjust these values to make them fit your monitor-specs.

Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "60-140"

see above ...

Option "MetaModes" "1440_85,1440_75;1400x1050,1400x1050;"

This is a cruical thing! MetaModes define the resolutions that are to be used simultaneously. You can define multiple meta-modes and seperate each mode-definition with a semicolon (";"). One mode entry can consist of up to two resolution-modes for the left and the right monitor ...

Example ...

Option "MetaModes" "1440_85,1440_75"

this tells the driver that the left monitor uses a mode defined in the modeline "1440_85". It furthermore tells the driver to apply mode "1440_75" to the right monitor when the left monitor uses the mode "1440_85"

You can skip entries in the modeline, or use different modes within a MetaMode-line like this ...

Option "MetaModes" "1440_85,"

in this case the left monitor will still use 1440_85 but the right screen will be set to the best possiblee mode the driver can make up. You can read all about MetaModes in the above mentioned NVIDIA-readme.

4.3: Setting up the monitor for "TwinView"

When we defined the "screen1"-device (under paragraph »4.1: Setting up TwinView-device "screen1"«) there was alse an entry about what monitor-device this screen should utilize. The respective line in »Section "Screen"« was Monitor "monitor1". So the only thing that's left is to define this "monitor1"-device. Add/edit this in your XF86Config-4-file ...

### MONITORS

Section "Monitor"

....Identifier "monitor1"

....HorizSync 30-98

....VertRefresh 50-160

....# 1440 x 1080 @ 85.08 Hz Vertical 96.39 kHz Horizontal

....Modeline "1440_85" 189.71 1440 1544 1704 1968 1080 1081 1084 1134 +hsync +vsync

....Modeline "1440_75" 176.00 1440 1560 1720 1968 1080 1081 1084 1133 +hsync +vsync

EndSection

The important thing here is that you not only have to define the modes for the left monitor, you also have to add the modes for the right monitor if you want to use them in the "MetaModes"-line. Don't forget this when you define the monitor-modes here.

Well, that's about it. Sounds way more complex than it actually is. If you need a "real-world"-XF86Config-4 then grab one of mine from this here http://lepschi.source.at/xf86config-twinview-example.txt

Hope this helps

cu smile

thaks everyone big help thus far i just finished reinstalling mandrake

i cant wait to get into the cli blackpage this looks like fun

gaggh my local account is only limited i cant see my hard drive mount or anything thus the problem with the cd players what should i do on the options there are so many perty choices

i just realized windows made things so bloody easy but linux you must learn im having so much fun here

like with the dual monitor that was so easy

now where are those updates its bugging me for

alright black page i got your post and its ideas but i need the source kernel file woul that be .tar.bz .srpm if srpm where do i go for it

heya soulnothing,

all you need to install are the source files for the kernel. You can do this in the package manager (rpmdrake). just enter the word "kernel" and click "search" and you should be presented with a list of found packages. From those install "kernel-source-2.6.3-4mdk". The rest should be handled by the PackageManager.

hope this helps

got the kernel source and tried installing it but it said it was already installed so i let it be but now i dont have permission to install on the cli

also real quick is there a way to get updates for free for mandrake all i could figure out is that you have to be a club memeber and also is it like windows updates auto install

[Edited by soulnothing on 2004-04-23 23:51:54]

gidday,

re: no permission ... nod, as stated above you need to be root to compile and install the NVIDIA-driver. For this you have to leave your graphical environment (KDE/GNOME ...) by opening a console under KDE e.g and typing "init 3". If it gives you a "permission denied", just make yourself root in the console by typing "su" and entering the root password. After that you can surely "init 3" to shut down the gui. After that, change to the directory you d/l the NVIDIA driver to and run the bin-file by typing "./NVIDIA-etc-etc.bin"

cu

correction/addendum:

oops, I say, to my surprise i had to find out that my MDK10 here ignores an "init 3". So to log into the system and into a console you might want to disable the "auto boot-into-gui"-mode. You can do this via "Configure your computer" from the DrakMenu. As I have a german version here, I have prepared a screenie to show you what switches to set:

http://lepschi.source.at/disable-auto-gui.jpg

But before you do so, you might want to ask yourself some cruical questions:

(a) Can you handle a non-KDE/GNOME editor like emacs, as you need to make changes to your XF86Config-4 file?

(eg. in emacs: "CTRL-X/S = save, CTRL-X/C = quit")

(B) Have you made a backup of your original XF86Config-4 file that you can restore from within command-shell to ensure you can get back to KDE/GNOME in case something goes wrong?

(backup: "root@machine# cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4-save"

restore: "root@machine# cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4-save /etc/X11/XF86Config-4")

after all, we would not want you to get lost somewhere on the command line smile

cu

blackpage i already have boot into cli as default i lived in the command prompt on windows and i know a bit of C++ i may be a linux newbie but im trying to learn this stuff im just not aquanted im adapting from a windows enviroment im still learning the bash code and where to get the updates im in awe as how many default programs there are and how much their is to learn but its fun and its a challenge have i backed up the x86 file no i dont know where it is i been busy playing around in the cli with the nvidia driver

and i look at it like this if i mess up i can always reinstall a o/s is rare to remain standing for more than a week on my system because of my expiriminitations so a guide would be helpful just tell the directorys these things are located in and a few of the bash commands and ill be fine i thank you for all your help blackpage

sorry if i sound a bit defensive im not im just saying i can handle the hard stuff if i mess up at least i learned something

im backing it up once i log off k