Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
qwxyr

Need For Speed 2 SE under Windows XP SP1 w/ latest updates

Hi,

I'm having extreme difficulties to get Need For Speed 2 SE to run under my Windows XP system. I know it -should- work, but it doesn't. I've managed to locate and install the latest update with no luck.

This is an e-mail I've written to the author of GlideWrapper (http://home.t-online.de/home/zsack/), latest release was 04.04.2004 so he's still developing it.

Quote:

Hi,

I've just tried out your glidewrapper and I must say I'm exceptionally pleased someone

is actually doing work on it still :P We've played Need For Speed 2 SE on our LAN's

here for ages, but had to stop when people were discarding their Glide cards. But it seems

you're our light in the tunnel :P

A few problems though, I'm not sure if it has anything to do with your glide wrapper, but

when starting NFS2SEA.exe, I get this error -> "Initgraphics - INITMEMMAN REQUIRED

BEFORE INITGRAPHICS FILE c:\nfs2se\game\3rash\initgrf.c LINE 44"

I'm also unable to start the game normally through NFS2SEN.exe because of a null pointer in

the code.

"Unhandled exception at 0x00497522 in nfs2sen.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing

location 0x00000004."

System specs is AMD XP2800 Barton core, Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB, Windows XP SP1

and all official updates installed.

I've tried running the game in all the compatible modes with no more luck.

Is there anything I'm overlooking? I would really really really love to play this game again.

I've also managed to dig up the NFS2SE EA patch after an hour of googling.

Thanks for any replies,

qw

Are you receiving the same error as shown by the text pasted into your post?

I had difficulty until I set my page file min @ 512 and max @ 512MB.

After that, reinstalling it fixed the issues.

Good luck!

Are you receiving the same error as shown by the text pasted into your post?

I had difficulty until I set my page file min @ 512 and max @ 512MB.

After that, reinstalling it fixed the issues.

Good luck!

Hi there

I FINALLY got hold of NFS2, wow, i missed this game SO much. Unfortunately, I am running Win XP, and it wont rn the game....says the following:

initmem - INSUFICIENT MEMORY TO CONTINUE FILE win\initmem.c LINE 242

Could somebody PLEEEZ help me.

Thanks

Guy....

The S4FF3R laugh

Hi

I am having the same problem, it is coming up with the same error (insufficient memory....line 242) we are also running windows XP. Did you find a solution? Can anyone help us resolve this so we can get back to playing the game! Thanks.

i think u guys in this thread dont need any updated drivers for nfs 2 se. i had the same prob.-the game wood not start (i have xp sp2).then i right clicked the nfs icon on desktop,selected properties-compatibility-then select 'run this program for 'win 2000' & select 'run in 256 colors'.

if 'win 2000' selection doesnt work then try 'win 95'/'win 98'/'nt'.ALSO MAKE SURE UR NFS CD IS FREE OF DIRT & LINT.

Close any unnecessary programs like ram optimizers etc in background.if u r using nvidia or ati grafix card then set antialiasing & anisotropic filtering to 'application controlled'.

i think u should install xp sp2 from microsoft website.y r u still using sp1?? sp2 is better & will improve xp gaming performance. cool

GOOD LUCK!!

oh..nfs2 is an age-old game..

Maybe you can attepmt the new version.

Whatever, good luck for you!

WINDOWS XP (AND PROBABLY VISTA) COMPATIBILITY GUIDE FOR NEED FOR SPEED II (SE).

The following procedure will make your Need For Speed II (SE) game RUN NEAR PERFECT UNDER WINDOWS 2000 / XP (and probably Vista).

IT WILL COMPLETELY FIX THE "SLOW SPEED" PROBLEM OBSERVED IN

VIDEO

Game will run almost just as good and in the same speed as under win95/98/me. And I 've tried to make it as much detailed as possible, so non-advanced users can follow it.

So, let's start:

NOTE: You must not have the game already installed in your computer in order to follow this procedure. If you already have the game installed, please uninstall it (don't worry, we will install it again, but in such way it will make it compatible)

1. Go to "(My) Computer" --> Right click your disc drive (the one the game disk is inserted into) and then click on "open" --> go to "SETUP" folder --> go to "ENGLISH" folder (or whatever other language you wish to choose as the installation language)

2. Right click on SETUP.EXE file (it's the one that has an icon with a grey computer and a box infront) --> click on "Properties" --> click on the "Compatibility" tab. Enable the "Run this program in compatibility mode for" option. Select "windows 95" from the menu below. Then enable the "disable visual themes", and "turn off advanced text services for this program" options. Make sure that the "Run in 256 colors" and "Run in 640x480 screen resolution" options are disabled. Click apply and Ok.

3. Close all open windows, eject and reinsert the disc, and install the game. Make sure you make a FULL installation of the game.

4. Reboot

5. Enjoy the game

I have tried this on an two computers, with a NVIDIA and an ATI cards, and it's almost perfect. The only thing I have noticed are some sound glithes. Also, the game has known problems cooperating in windows2000/xp systems (don't know about vista) with more that 512MB of RAM. I am still working on it.