Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Phalanx-Imawano

LAN Switch not working?

I currently have a 2-PC LAN at home, one PC running Windows XP Pro (which I'm using to write this thread) sharing its internet connection, and one running Windows 2000 Pro (my parents' PC), and using only TCP/IP. Previously the network was linked together by a 10mpbs hub, and things worked well. Recently I decided to replace that hub with a 100/10mpbs LAN Switch (specifically the CNET CNSH-800 Switch). After hooking things together, bam - the two PC's can't see each other. Can't ping each other, and the Win2k PC can no longer browse the net. Tried adding the IPX/SPX protocol on both PC's, but it didn't help.

Is something special needed to be done to make Windows PC's see each other through a LAN Switch? I know a LAN Switch works differently from a hub (e.g. a LAN Switch stores the MAC Addresses of any network device that connects to it), and some LAN switches need configuration (those that have a console port and can have their own IP Address), but the one I bought doesn't, supposedly.

It sounds like your switch is messed. First I'd put the hub back to make sure one of your network cards didn't choose this exact moment to die (odds are low I know.. but I've seen it happen). Then confirm the two computers can communicate.

If you can communicate then you need to confirm 100% that this switch doesn't need programming. If this model definitely doesn't then it is likely a defunct switch.

Note with a two PC LAN you could just use a crossover cable (make sure both cards are both set the same way - ie 100mbit, full duplex).

If you can't make (or don't have the equipment to make) a crossover cable you should be able to buy one.

If you want to make one then make the cable normally and on one end switch wires 1 and 3 and switch wires 2 and 6 (Basically make one end the 568B spec and the other the 568A spec).

See the following link for more info:

http://www.littlewhitedog.com/content-8.html

I put the hub back and things are working again (and besides a crossover cable would be too inconvinient, considering the two PC's are in different rooms so running the cable around the house will be a chore, though I have the tools to make one - in fact I made the patch cables myself, tailored to my setup, and I want provision for a 3rd PC just in case), so I guess it must be a defective LAN Switch I got. Humph! This model (CNET CNSH-800) claims to be Plug-and-Play and has this "Auto MDI/MDIX" feature, and even claims it can detect whether crossover cables or patch cables are used and will configure itself accordingly.

Guess that LAN Switch is going back to the shop where I bought it.

:x *feels very sheepish*

Ehehehe. I tested the LAN Switch in my office LAN first to make sure before returing it to the store. I put two PC's there (those with the same IP series) together via that Switch, and turns out it works just fine (the two PC's could see each other). So back home I did another test, putting the two PC's next to each other using known good LAN cables so I could do a more controlled test. The Switch is definitely functioning (the PC's did see each other, and even the internet connection sharing function is working). This leaves the culprit to the LAN cable between my PC (the one with the shared internet connection, located in my bedroom) and the hub (which is located next to my parents' PC in their bedroom), and this LAN cable runs outside the house through the holes where the window air-conditioner of each room is, and is about 20 meters long. Guess I'll need to replace that cable.