Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jamesk

Win NT server and Xp after Redhat 9

Hi, I installed Redhat 9 and created 4 hda partions, I want to install WinNT server on the same computer,I am using a bootable CD but the comp loads only Redhat and not the setup screen for NT. What can I do get around this.

james

Sounds to me like your bios is not set to boot from cd. Did you install RH9 beginning with a boot floppy?

I've never done what you are trying to do so I have no advice there, maybe danleff can assist you with that, but you need to set your bios to boot from cdrom. At startup, you should see something like, "Press F2 for setup." or something. That is to access your bios. Hold what ever key it says to down until your bios comes up. Change the boot order so cdrom comes before booting from HDD. Don't change anything else in the bios! When you are sure you have it set right, save it and try rebooting from the cdrom again.

Sorry to tell you now, but, it's a real good idea to install Windows first, and, to have your NT install on the first partition of the first drive. Linux can then be put on any primary partition and LILO or Grub will have no problem finding the Windows volume. Trying to put in windows after Linux is a real pita.

I only have one more thing to add. The reason for installing Win first, is that by installing it after RedHat, it will overwrite the MBR and most likely trash the lilo or grub bootloader for RedHat. Windows installations are not friendly with Linux when installed last. There is a way to boot RedHat (in theory anyway) after the fact through boot.ini (the windows bootloader), but that is a bit complicated.

The question is, did you make a boot floppy when you installed RedHat? This will allow you to get into RedHat again and re-write lilo or grub to the MBR. Then you can add the commands to lilo or grub for Windows afterwards.

hey james i had the same issue per sey recentley when trying to install another version of linux it went straight to grub i kept reconfiguring bios to no avail i did this mostly because windows ate my whole hard drive some how anyway

heres how i fixed my problem you can try if you like its worth a shot before installing a whole nother os

i grabbed

BOOT IT NG

it says partition but it also does boot

install that grub and boot it will be trying to boot so it goes to the cd that should do the trick

(note this only works if you either have lilo or grub)

Originally posted by SoulNothing:

Quote:

i grabbed

BOOT IT NG

Yeah... I have that too.... After reading the technical documentation, I decided 'not' to use it... Once you put it in you'll have quite a time removing it. Scared the s#@t out of me.... Lilo & Grub are bad enough ;-).

i dont see what the big deal is every body says its hard to remove ive removed and installed it so many times it isnt even a problem maybe its because i never pay attention to read mes oh well other than that it works pretty well this was the first tool i found when first going to partition for linux drives

Interesting product, but it requires knowledge about systems, partitioning and multiple OS schemes. I just read the documentation..very interesting! The documentation is a must read for users. If you are not cautious, you may trash your multiple boot ability on uninstall.

However, I have a few questions for SoulNothing.

This is shareware. I got the sense from the Cnet user reviews that multiple OS users may have issues uninstalling the product and retaining their original ability to boot all their OS'.

1. What has been your experience with this?

2. Do any features, besides the image stuff get disabled after the 30 day trial? In other words, can it be used without paying the registration fee to safely recover your old scheme, or add new distros? My point being is that the average user may not change his/her configuration or add new distros, but us multi-distro bugs need to change the number of OS' that we use. Therefore we need to retain all the features, especially for an uninstall.

3. It appears that if you choose the "limit partitions" option, then BootitNG takes over as the MBR and uninstalling it works, as long as you do not have more than 4 primary partitions at the time of uninstall.

If you choose "do not limit partitions" then it seems that you can regain control of the system easier (your multiple boot options) when uninstalling. I assume this is what you have done to make a successful uninstall?

4. Can it be used totally from the CD, without installing to the hard disk? This way, you can "remaster" the boot CD when you add or remove distros?

I hope that I have been clear in my questions.

The point...read the directions carefully before using it!

danleff asked me a question wow im a newbie too

first thing i gotta say is this thing is shareware??? oh well

1. What has been your experience with this?

i really enjoy this as a product it seems to work well

2. Do any features, besides the image stuff get disabled after the 30 day trial? In other words, can it be used without paying the registration fee to safely recover your old scheme, or add new distros? My point being is that the average user may not change his/her configuration or add new distros, but us multi-distro bugs need to change the number of OS' that we use. Therefore we need to retain all the features, especially for an uninstall.

i dont know how i did it but one time i got two red hats and a fedora plus xp on my pc i installed boot it ng first then i guess it carried it over to grub because it had it configured for me still but if your not to familiar then more than likely your going to have to do some playing around, but i didnt use it to create partitions because it did mess with my mbr how i did it was like this i grabbed this reassured the size created a boot record, 29th day make a new copy re install and it worked fine. (im not to clear on this question) i think peoples main issue is it installs on to its own 4mb partition as Fat32 but it can only manage and see 4 partitions not counting floppy and cds. (if this is rambling A. im in the middle of class teacher row behind me , and B. sorta confused on question think it needs to be broken up)

3. It appears that if you choose the "limit partitions" option, then BootitNG takes over as the MBR and uninstalling it works, as long as you do not have more than 4 primary partitions at the time of uninstall.

ive never dealt with more than 4 partitions at one time so this one has sorta got me lost, but there was that one time thinking of it chopping the hard drive to death

something like this and i only had one boot sector on it from boot it ng but then i reinforced it to two boot sectors heres a sample of what i did but i wouldnt recommend above four partitions with this products it made 9 gigs disapearr

2 gig swap

10 gig ntfs

10 gig ntfs

10 gig ntfs

10 gig ntfs

10 gig ntfs

5 gig linux

5 gig linux

5 gig linux

5 gig linux

5 gig linux

5 gig linux

5 gig linux

5 gig linux

5 gig linux

5 gig linux

20 gig swap

and yes i was loaded on tons of coffee that night

If you choose "do not limit partitions" then it seems that you can regain control of the system easier (your multiple boot options) when uninstalling. I assume this is what you have done to make a successful uninstall?

um honestly danleff sometimes im so hyper at the computer i close my eyes and move the mouse at random and click randomly then open my eyes in thirty seconds so im guessing 50/50

4. Can it be used totally from the CD, without installing to the hard disk? This way, you can "remaster" the boot CD when you add or remove distros?

i have a boot floppy stuck in my floppy drive that contains it that never leaves it so i run it off a floppy all the time

i could probaly be more helpful with number two if you broke it up some

and if this dont help dont worry im known as incoherrent laugh

jim i just looked at the manual i was like 2 pages in and saw it was 48 pages long

its safe if you dont know what your doing, because i didnt use any of the things they said for you to do

i could see why everyone is scared now they need better writers thats why

and the reason i migrated to this is simply because of the fact that i couldnt find partition magic or any other pArtiotion app for free at the time this was when i was first starting out

and i like it so much ive stuck with it

but danleff if you got a good partition app then stick with no sense with migrating unless your trying to learn something new

did you create a linux boot disk during the install process. if not then better make one now.

first you need to configure your BIOS to boot from CD, then install your windows.

then you can use linux boot disk to boot into linux because your mbr will be overwritten and grub will be gone.

goto /sbin

type 'grub'

you will be presented with a grub prompt

there you can use the following commands

find /boot/grub/stage1

it will give you some thing as

(hdx,y)

where x will represent your hdd and y will give your partiton which has the relevant file

then type

root (hdx,y)

setup (hdx)

grub will be setup on your mbr and will automatically detect your windows installation so no problem