Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Guvernment

[o0o]--- MAC 2004

Quote:

On January 24 [1984], Apple Computer will introduce Macintosh. And you’ll see why 1984 won’t be like ‘1984’.”

This was the pronouncement at the end of Apple's commercial, which TV Guide magazine would later deem the greatest commercial of all time. Aired during the 1983 Super Bowl, the now famous Apple Macintosh “1984” commercial informed the world that the age of modern, home PC’s was coming. Get ready. Here comes the Mac.

Apple successfully launched the Macintosh 128K on it’s designated date of January 24th, 1984 (although somehow I don’t imagine there were lines out the door of the Apple store, stretching for blocks and blocks and blocks, as seen here). But nonetheless, what a magnificent computer it was. Equipped with an 8Mhz CPU made by Motorola, 128kb of onboard memory, a 3.5” floppy drive, two serial ports, and a gorgeous black and white monitor built into the unit, the Macintosh was the first affordable home computer to include a GUI (graphical user interface). And the price for all that power? $2,500.

So, one can only imagine my disgust when I happened to see one of these glorious creatures sitting on the curb by a neighbor’s house, patiently waiting to be lifted into the truck by our friendly, local sanitation workers, and then carried off to a dump where it would lay to rest in happy retirement for ages to come.

I could have reprimanded my neighbors, or I could have let the Mac be taken away. Why do things happen as they do? Perhaps fate intervened, as I’m quite certain I recall seeing a slight shiver in the corner of the Mac’s screen as I firmly grasped it’s conveniently located handle (and taking the keyboard and external drive that lay on the grass next to it). Could it have possibly known all that lay in store for it; my ambitious plans for granting it a new lease on life? Perhaps…

http://www.primotechnology.com/articles/0104/mac2004.htm