Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CyberGenX

HyperThreading: HyperProblem!

1. 1. Sharepoint migration 2010

• Migrating to Sharepoint 2010

Quote:
For the record, I am currently encoding a 352,480 mpeg2 file with an smp capable program. Both CPU's at 70% and realtime.

I suspect in this case that your processors are too fast! :x

Meaning really that you are probably processing faster the hard drive can supply data. An app running in realtime, or even in normal priority, should fill up the cpu if it has work to do. So if the cpu's are not being kept 100% busy, then it means they are waiting for work, which could mean they are stalled on reads/writes from the hard drive. It could be something else holding back the performance too, but that is the most obvious suspect.

I would be curious to know what your encoding times are, in realtime vs. normal priorities. I suspect that realtime is not helping you, by why hypothesize when we can experiment?

i run the folding at home distributed computing. i just turned it to realtime and the cycles got a little slower.

it's running 4 threads at 100% cpu usage.

ill play with some other configs and see how it all goes.

Quote:
It's possible... if you are an Electrical Engineer, this is quite the possible!

To answer this (implied) question, since I don't think I've ever said - I received my BS in Electrical & Computer Engineering last spring, and I am currently working towards my MS in Electrical Engineering, with an emphasis on Computer Architecture.

So yes, we have very different backgrounds, but I hope we can continue "teaching" each other... smile

for clarity im mp and h/t

it's gotta be different than sp h/t

im not seeing a time difference with 2 threads and realtime. pretty standard to normal.

normal being 1 or 2 threads no slowdown, 3 threads 3-7% slower and 4 threads 7-10% slower.

slower than 4 threads on 4 cpus but still much faster than 1 cpu to do 4 projects or 2 cpu's to do 2.