Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mjpuczko

Sound Hardware Error

I have a win98 pc that will not play cd's. it plays sounds when turning on/off the pc. but when i place a cd in, i get an error:

Error ID = 0x80040256. Remedy ID = 0x00000000

then it says something about no sound card, etc. there is a soundcard & i've tried troubleshooting but i cannot find the error. help!![/img]

The only things I can suggest is to go to the motherboard manufacturers website and d/l the latest AC97 device drivers, if you have onboard sound or the manufacturers website of the sound card and get their latest device drivers.

I would also recommend d/l and installing the latest DirectX 9.0b just to make sure wink

Hi Gang,

Up[censored] your drivers is a good idea. Making sure both your CD-ROM and Sound card are installed correctly is also important. Also to play CDs you may need and or find benefit in attaching an audio cable between the CD-rom and the sound card. I think this allows CDs to play back with virtually no CPU usage since the information goes straight from your drive to the sound card. Also in device manager you should try enablingl/disabling digital audio playback on your CD-ROM (not sound card).

Cheers,

Christian Blackburn