Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ace

Geforce2 and Matsonic

My friend gave me a his old GeForce2 MX and we tried to install it. We plugged it in the AGP slot and plugged the monitor cable in but there was no picture appearing. So we thought to disable the integrated card in the BIOS and change it to AGP. But that didn't work either. So we tried to unplug an older AGP video card from an old computer and this one was an ATI but it was really old like 8MB of memory. Anyways, we plugged it in and it worked. So we tried the GeForce again but there was nothing. At this point we didn't know what to do so he went home.

My friend tried it on his dad's computer and it worked, so it can't be the GeForce then. So any ideas on why this could have happened?

My motherboard is a Matsonic MS8157E.

The onboard card is an S3. It is probably those drivers that are kicking in when you bring up the GeForce2. Try changing the video driver to standard Windows VGA first with the onboard video. Then, power down. Put in the GeForce card, power up, go into bios, disable the onboard card, then continue bootup. With the Standard VGA drivers, the GeForce2 should come up. Your board is rated to see 4X AGP. The MX should work with 2X. That could be a further problem. Anyway, some video cards share memory with the motherboard. You might want to turn that feature off from the Bios if it doesn't work.

I think u're not plugging it very well in the AGP slot.., it uses to happen a lot, so try to plug it well as u can, at least to dischard that posibility wink

Also a possibility that the motherboard does not provide enough voltage to the AGP slot, older AGP cards need(ed) 3.3V, and new(er) boards only supply 1.5V.