Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ricksniper

XviD Driver's

hey..i have an .avi that i wanna watch and it works in Media Player except theres no sound... if someone could hook me up with the needed codec(s) or gimme a site i would appreiciate it

Thanks laugh

It's not divx. Since divx uses mp3 for the sound if he didn't have the correct codec he could hear it but not see it. The same goes for xvid. My guess is you just got a bad file. It happens all the time.

Good point Tomay - many xvid release are using the AC3 codes (5.1 surround) audio tracks - forgot about that!

the latest DivX pack (5.1) plays Xvids - Xvid is open-source DivX

if i remember right )

its not the best Xvid decoding around, but i do find it the most stable.

If you want ANY sort of DL or codec help go to www.divx-digest.com

and visit the forums there.

Everyone reading this needs to realise, the audio codec has NOTHING to do with xvid or divx.

AVI stans for "Audio video interleeave"

the audio can be anything, wav, mp3, Ogg vorbis, AC3. All you need is the proper filter to playit back.

Loading DVD playing softwar4e such as powerdvd will install an ac3 codec for you, as well as many of the codec packs floating arournd the net.

Divx and xvid refer to, and only to, the video part of the file, which is in every case ISO compliant Mpeg-4 video stream. Mpeg-4 also has an audio speciofication, AAC, which isnt heavily used yet. That is the format thAT apple is selling their "I-tunes" in.

Hope you all learned somehting, judging from these posts there are alot of AV(Audio/video) n00bs lurking smile

when it comes to audio and video, I am the man to talk to.

Good luck!

P.S. Also of note, Ac3 does not necessarily mean 5.1. AC3 can be 2 chanel stereo all the way up to 5.1.

nm, I've decided I'll let the self appointed "expert" fail to answer the question at hand while he lectures all us a/v "newbs".

i did answer your question. I said install DVD software such as pwerdvd, or one of the mamy codec packs on the net.

The lecturing was added as a value added free service. Homeboy should appreciate it, there's good solid info in there.

I never had a question. The only thing I said was that it probably wasn't a codec issue because most people who convert aren't stupid enough to use ac3. And yes it does have everything to do with xvid or divx. You see xvid and divx by default use mp3 for sound. Sure eventually mpeg 4 won't, but since that still isn't even an official standard it doesn't apply to this situation. And before you say it is an official standard tell me which one of the 3 they were arguing about just a couple of months ago they went with? Since there is a defacto standard and the video still didn't work properly the first course of troubleshooting would be to check the file itself. See if it plays on another system. If it does then you know you're missing something, if it doesn't then the file itself is likely the culprit.

btw telling someone to install dvd software without knowing if they even have a dvd drive is a little silly. Why not tell them to install every codec on the net "just in case"? Your problem is that rather than just saying try getting an ac3 codec it may work you have to lecture so you feel important. Which is sad.

Duhmez, a few questions, as I am just learning about codec differences, standards, etc...

AC3 audio codec, that's what the audiotrack on most (all?) DVDs are encoded in, correct?

If so, the combination of MPEG and AC3 are how pressed DVDs are encoded, right?

Now, about XviD... How come at times the DirectShow filter is needed? For example, there was a Wolfenstein video released recently that was encoded using XviD, but playback was very jerky unless the DirectShow filter was installed. Is that due to a bad/buggy compile of the XviD codec?

Hopefully I haven't just confused myself further.

Xvid and divx "by default" do not use mp3. they use nothing. they are video codecs. Audio codec is chosen at the time the video is processed.

installing DVD playing software on a machine that does not hav e advd drive is a good thing to to. it provides Mpeg-2 and AC-3 playback. Anyone tryintg to watch an svcd or anuything with ac3 audio in it will benefit.

For true dvd compliance, the DVD must use AC3 or PCM(uncompressed) audio with sampling rate of 48000 Hz. Mpeg audio, while it will work on most dvd players, is not DVD spec. (Every DVD I have ever analyzed has AC3 audio in it).

Mpeg-4 IS an official standard now, it was ratified by the ISO (international standards organisation) this year. Xvid and divx both create 100% compliant mpeg 4 video streams. Except when a bug crops up and makes uncompliant file.....

As for the xvid situation, here's the deal. Each codec has an encoding part, and a decoding part, with a directshow decoder being optional. The standard decoder is VFW(video for windows) interface, but using directshow, you can have nice filtering during playback in your video overlay, which results in nicer picture and or better performance. For a while there, xvid did not ship with a directshow component, but it does now.

@Genaldar.

Encoding audio using AC3 is not "Stupid" it supports multichannel and is pure goodness. For an even better bnefit of using AC3 in avi container, is you can you the native trac ripped right off the dvd, without converting it, maintaining perfect audio quality, and 5.1 if desired. As for "Lecturing to feel important", I was not lecturing, I was educating, because I know alot about these matter. i enjoy helping people out, I like helping people to learn things they didn't know before, and there are alot of confusing issues to deal with videos and video processing on pc's so I made that post to help anyone out who may read it.

If you read my other posts in this or any other forum, you will see all I ever try to do is help and be helped, and i do not deserve this unnecessary attack on my character.

I'm not looking to start a flmae war here, I do understand that you took what I said out of context, not the way it was intended, and it got you all into a hissy fit, which frankly really surprised me; I thought all I was doing was helping someone out and then it draws a personal attack.

Ah well it's all good. it happens.

Cheers.