Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slay

Restart prob.

Im using win 98se and whenever I do a install that prompts you to restart your computer or even if I just try to restart it, It goes to the windows screen before the restart and just sits there. Any one have any ideas how to fix this? Would it be a hardware issue or a software issue? Thanks for any help you can give.

This usually indicates a driver and/or device is not responding to the shutdown/restart request.

Did this just start happening within a short time or has it always beend doing this ?!?

It could be a device that has been recently added and/or it's device drivers.

Perhaps review the current driver revs and see how they compare to the manufacturers versions. Try up[censored] any older drivers etc...

Another thing to do periodically with Win 9x is to run a thorough scandisk on the entire hard drive for any errors that could also cause this kind of thing.

Its been doing it for a long time now. I updated the nvidia driver and the sounblaster driver and that didn' t help. I use a dual boot with win98se and win 2000. So I dont know if that would have something to do with it. I dont know what to look for when it comes to your 4 in 1 drivers and your motherboard bios updates.

unlikely i know, but running Winamp on my PC will do the same oP

Try looking through your media players and up[censored] them all-

as said in previous posts its probably a driver, most likely sound.

Thank you for all your help. I am going to look threw these now and find a solution. I do appreciate everyones time. Thanks again, slay.