Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Four and Twenty

ACPI on Asus P2B-DS with win2k3

I got an old Asus P2B-DS dual p3 board that i just put in a new case with a bunch of old parts. The only problem is that when I installed win2k3 server it is not installed in acpi mode. I am reinstalling now with the pnp os setting set to no. I think this is how i got it going on my other old 440bx mobo. I was wondering if anyone knows the exact bios settings to get the os to install with acpi enabled

Actually almost all of these dual-processor BX boards had similar problems with ACPI and dual processor mode already with Windows 2000. The solutions can vary somewhat depending on the board model.

In this specific case

If the PCB revision is 1.05 or below, the board must be electrically modified as well as equipped with the latest BIOS. You must be skilled with a mini soldering iron and comfortable with SMD components to do this! If not, perhaps you know someone who is.

If the PCB revision is 1.06 or higher only a new BIOS is required, unless you want to use Coppermines or later P3's, in which case PCB revision 1.06 with subrevision D03 or higher is necessary to work well.

The PCB revision is found printed on the board between the two ISA slots.

I would recommend the P2B-DS ACPI BIOS 1014 beta 03 which is the latest available and wellknown to be very stable and reliable.

It can be found at ftp//ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/

I don't know if ASUS still has any relevant information about this at any of their websites. If you leave your email address here, I can try to make some PDF's for you. Another good place to look for tips is the forum at http//www.2cpu.com/ where there are lots of skilled and experienced people.

Next, these old boards are generally not recognized correctly by the installation program of Windows 2000 and later. You must therefore choose ACPI (multiprocessor) HAL manually in the beginning of the installation. This is described in MS KB-article Q216251 .

I don't think that PNP OS setting matters at all in this case, unless you need to make some specific BIOS settings to make old hardware work.

Come back here if there are any problems!

This thread is gettin' better and better, eh? You're lucky, I had to pay with my blood (well, almost) for my dual BX'es! Of course its been a while since that...

overclocking success will depend upon you CPU's, the memory and of course the AGP graphics card. You may need to start by seeing if you can first overclock the FSB and see if any anomylous behavior occurs, then gradually raise it until things begin to freak out then back off a notch or two to be safe. This is usually where you can safely overclock too.

Be aware that it's possible to shorten the life span of some of these componenets, of course I never seem to have them long enough to ever see this effect smile