Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Arin

ACPI Crashing my system

Up at college I build this beat old computer system for the living room. It plays all our media and serves as an emulator box so we can play all our old nintendo games. Slight problem.... it locks up alot.

I thought it was a number of things but after the last few lockups I checked the event manager and saw a problem with ACPI.

I get this error at the same time the computer crashes:

AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0xcfc), which lies in the 0xcf8 - 0xcff protected address range. This could lead to system instability.

I get that error twice in the event manager and then the system locks up.

So, scan I just shut off acpi to fix this problem? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT

Apparently I was mistaken. that ACPI error shows up when I first start up the computer an not right before I crash. Still, I think this may be the problem. I've already tried different ram and different video cards.

This error comes up with a legacy Bios that is incompatible with XP. I think that there is a tool on the Microsoft support page that you can run to tell you if your Bios is compatible or not. Barring that, you might try seeing if there is a more recent Bios for that board or use an earlier windows version like 98

ACPI is also giving me this error (i'm the one with the random NTFS lockups, is your computer using NTFS by chance?)...Does anyone know the link for that program? I have a iWill KV-200R...

AMD Duron 800MHz

IWILL KV200-R with VIA Apollo KT133 chipset

C-Media onboard sound card

nVidia GeForce4 MX 440

Realtek NIC card

256 SDRAM

Any way to flash a bios w/o a floppy drive? Maybe a bootable cd? I have no floppy in this box.

Bro since your using this a Media Center then I may have a fix for you.

GO into device Manager

Click on the computer tab at the top

Should say something like ACPI Uniprocessor

Right click on that and select update driver

Pick the option to choose install from list or specific location

ON the next screen choose don't search i will choose driver to install

Then Pick Standard PC at the bottom and click next.

This will disable ACPI for the most part, but you don't really need it

yeah same here, my BIOS are updated. What kind of sound card is in there? Mine's a C-Media, so if yours is the same maybe it may be sound related.