Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Guvernment

Intel Centrino vs other mobile?

Hey all

well reading up on the centrino cause i am likely going to buy a laptop soon.

What is the major advantage of the centrino - to me it seems simply it does not use as much power on battery - but the speeds are much lower, like 1.6ghz....

is the 1ghz speed decrease over a mobile worth the extra saved on battery life?

whatotehr advantages does the centrino offer over other mobile chips?

from what i have read yes the centrinos do have lower clock speeds and increased battery life but if you look at reviews the lower clock speed of the M proccessor of the centrino notebooks beats the P4 "m" in all benchmarks. Even though the clock speed is higher its better to stick with the centrino with its M proccessor, better performance and and better battery

Masterfinn

Plus the chipset performance is supposed to be pretty quick as well, which helps negate the clock speed perception.

Some good info

from

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=2111428#post2111428

Quote:

The Pentium M is a distant relative of the P3 and the athlon and p3 were comperable in performance. P4 and whatever P4 for notebooks that are current and all celerons from the p4, are not comperable to the Pentium M.

Centrino is not a processor, it is a certification.

Centrino is Pentium

Quote:

You are correct in everything except the Pentium M is as fast as an Athlon clock per clock. The Pentium M is faster than an Athlon XP clock per clock. A 1.6 M is as fast as a 2.5P4 in most things. A 2500+ is 1.83ghz and thats with like 300mhz amd pr bs thrown in. Imho, if I were buying a laptop I would spend the extra dough on a Pentium M.

It depends on what you need.

Centrino's are great for battery life, and are still really fast.

BUt If you want a Desktop replacement, like myself, you may go for the cheaper desktop version of the P4, that they also use in laptops

Although going that route is hell on batteries.

Or, you could get an Alienware - they can put a regular P4, 3.2 Ghz in a laptop. It'll cost you and it's probably hard on the battery, but if you want a desktop replacement look no further. AND, they offer a DVD-RW/CD-RW combo drive. :x

nope, no dekstop repalcement - i got my water cooling rig here now smile

this will be for when i traverl or just around the house so i am not stuck in my room working as i work from home, and we have wireless so this is so i can go wit by the pool smile

live da life!

so battery is not hugly important but i will be doing coding on it, web design, PHP, MySQL and watching movies when i travel.

i do want something fast, thas for sure - but i dont plan to play video games on it, so it is more the CPU and ram i want good.

Quote:
Or, you could get an Alienware - they can put a regular P4, 3.2 Ghz in a laptop. It'll cost you and it's probably hard on the battery, but if you want a desktop replacement look no further. AND, they offer a DVD-RW/CD-RW combo drive. :x

I was looking at those

COmes with a 128mB video card too.

THats insane.

Too many beans for me though.

^^^

yes sir!

their prices are a little high! but i guess that is what u would pay for a full gaming desktop replacement system.

^^^

good thought - but what could the laptop mobo handle? - are those types of specification readily avaiible?

to possible replace the cpu your self in the laptop with a faster one? if thatis what you were thinking.