Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Guvernment

Reverse DNS

Hey all

how the HECk do i get reverse DNS to my IP?

our work is sending out a mailing list but some providers are rejecting it because it can not find a reverse DNS look up for our IP address.

HELP!

Quote:
Hey all

how the HECk do i get reverse DNS to my IP?

our work is sending out a mailing list but some providers are rejecting it because it can not find a reverse DNS look up for our IP address.

HELP!

Do you want to go from ip to your dns or the other way around? Either way, I think a ping or a traceroute will show both the dns and the ip.

well, basically

@joeblwo.com email provider says they will not accept the email i am sending to them because there are no results for a reverse lookup, or a PTR record for my IP address.

now the IP i am sending from is not the same IP as our mail servers.

The mail server does a reverse lookup to validate if the server is who it claims to be. If your server is named mail.domain.com and it talks to a box that is vali[censored], the receiving server will do an nslookup to validate the name from its IP. Now, it sounds like you are trying to send from an IP that isn't the mail server's IP and *claiming* (by the name of the box presented to the receiving server) that it is. Your best bet would be to name the server "listserver.domain.com" and register that subdomain name with your name servers (wherever your DNS name is being hosted, be it yourself or your ISP). Then, when the mail server looks up the IP, it can match your server name back up with the machine's IP and go through (unless it's black-listed, which is a diff story).

AHHH! yes exactly

we do not run our mail server from this IP - it is hosted by a 3rd company - and we do our own mailing lists but send it out from the email address of the 3rd party company.

shall have to see what ic an do - thnx!

Hey clutch.,

if i register that "subdomain" will that affect the actual company hosting the email for us?

example

ummm

mathiau.com (my domain)

i got say network solutions hosting my email - i then want to send out a mailing list from here (my house) that goes out from

I send that out from here locally from my SMTP.

now, if i go and register

mathiau.mathiau.com

or would it be

listserver.mathiau.com

As u can tell this is ALLL new to me.

Well, you are asking a few things at once. The ideal would be if your company has an ISP hosting its records, then that ISP would be the one responsible for hosting records for that IP range given to your company. So, you are trying to send stuff from your home, and you are *not* in the IP range that was given to your company, then don't expect the company's ISP to host the records for you. They would probably ask a lot of questions as to why, and give you a hard time. Now, if you were hosting the listserver at your work, then I would name it listserver.domain.com, list it as such in the application being used, and then ask the ISP to bind the IP of that box (its Internet IP if using pooling behind a firewall) to the listserver.domain.com name. Now, if you send out the list with an email addy such as "me@domain.com", then the users will try to reply to it and wind up hitting your email server at "domain.com", and not "listserver.domain.com". This is why you tend to see email response addys such as "response@majordomo.domain.com" or "listserver@majordomo.domain.com" because when you click on them, you want the response to go directly to the machine in question (which in this case is hosting this "majordomo" listserver app, and has been named as such).