Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tsonta101

Suggestions on AMD mobo

The easy part:

I am leaping to an Athlon 2500+ (from my ageing Thunderbird 1.3GHz) in September.

The hard part:

Choosing a new mobo! Now, I have been reading EVERY review on zillions of sites and I have almost maden up my mind. My canditade list has been shortened to this:

Abit NF7-S v2.0 nForce2

MSI KT6 Delta-FISR KT600

Asus A7V600

Asus A7N8X-X nForce2 / Deluxe

Soltek SL-KT600-R

Gigabyte GA-7N400L1

well all of them have USB2, some of the have Firewire, 5/6 PCI slots, LAN (the MSI has gigaLAN I think) and sound on board (I will be getting an Audigy though). Now if you have one of the above mentioned mobos, tell me about overclocking and stability issues, configuration issues, something you liked or disliked about it, anything.

Moreover, any other of you who is really satifsied from their mobo, please do post your opinion. I will make my final choice according to pricing/availability and your posts of course.

Thank you for your feedback!

Quote:
Asus the best?? you don't read nforcershq forums right?

Any motherboard is going to have problems. That is by far the most sold nforce2 motherboard and thus has more people that find a problem and say how much it sucks.

I am very happy with my a7n8x

The problem is not that the boards have problems, it's that Asus is taking forever to solve them.

i don't know about that board but compared with the other manufacturers he listed i have had the best experiences with asus

i wouldn't buy from any of those manufacturers

i also wouldn't buy amd via sis nforce or any of that crap

i would buy intel supermicro or tyan

Quote:
i don't know about that board but compared with the other manufacturers he listed i have had the best experiences with asus

i wouldn't buy from any of those manufacturers
i also wouldn't buy amd via sis nforce or any of that crap

i would buy intel supermicro or tyan

Well yes I can see buying the above mentioned parts for say a high-end workstation and/or server. Supermicro makes some very nice Dual Xeon boards and also they allow you to install one Xeon for expansion purposes wink

However, I think making a blanket statement like you did for this particular topic is not on-point at all, just seems to be a point at bashing, AMD, SiS, nVidia et.al.

Just my opinion of course smile

I happen to like both AMD and Intel for CPU's, I run both types at home and at work, they both have performed very well indeed, at least for me.

Also, I'm a bit biased on mobo manufacturers as we are a system builder/reseller and are mainly an Aopen shop wink So I'd recommend the AK79D series of boards. However I personally like Asus as well and have had no complaints about them laugh

i like nvidia graphics cards

but i have yet to see any chipset for the amd platform that is anywhere near as stable as an intel chipset

amd processors themselves aren't unstable but they are way too hot

so no i am not just bashing for no reason

i like quality

i demand quality

period

i did make a recomendation of what i think is the best of the bunch

Quote:
i like nvidia graphics cards

but i have yet to see any chipset for the amd platform that is anywhere near as stable as an intel chipset

amd processors themselves aren't unstable but they are way too hot

so no i am not just bashing for no reason

i like quality
i demand quality
period

i did make a recomendation of what i think is the best of the bunch

Well he already said he want's a AMD processor. Why not give him advice relative to his situation instead of telling him to go with intel?

I have read good things about the particular ABIT boards and ASUS.

try www.abxzone.com

THats a motherbaord site, and lots of users of both boards, I'm sure they will have an informred decision for you.

Wow, just got back from work and already there's a debate on it's own! Thank you everyone for your input - I have been over the websites you have mentioned many times - so far I have own mobos by Intel (with my first P75), Abit, Gigabyte, Asus, PCChips (regretted that!) and Elite, plus I have worked on many Chaintech and Soyo ones.

I was just hoping that someone would have already bought one of the mobos I mentioned, so that I could get a more personal view of the product (likes and dislikes etc), but this is a good start already!

....keep' em coming smile

Quote:

Well he already said he want's a AMD processor. Why not give him advice relative to his situation instead of telling him to go with intel?

i did in my very first post
i told him to get the asus one

Well I would go with the A7V600 or the MSI KT600 board. Both support 8 USB Ports and have integrated SATA RAID. It seems that the KT 600 chipset comes out faster than the Nforce 2 boards.

What about the Soyo Dragon line of motherboards? I know that personally I am considering the Dragon Ultra Platinum KT400. Yes, it is not the KT600 chipset and does not have SATA, but I've read that it is very stable and it comes with lots of extras such as a flash card reader. However, the one feature that really draws my interest is the 4 IDE channels - so that it supports 8 IDE devices!

comments?

The MSI one is my second choice (my first one would be the Gigabyte one).

I don't have anything against Asus, from my experience yes, they may produce problems (which are fixable in the end).

As for the Soyo one, they do have a KT600 mobo (firewire, gigabit LAN are nice) but it is hard to get a Soyo mobo over here in Greece (i know i can shop around, but i am too bored for that and the 3 large online retailers don't do Soyo mobos).

Quote:
is the Soyo Dragon Plus KT266A ok?

I'd aim for a newer chipset that supports better features and better CPU support for future upgrades.

I have an EPoX 8RDA+ nForce2 motherboard and absolutely love it to bits. It has everything useful that nForce2 has to offer (Dual Channel DDR support, AGP8X, ATA133, USB2.0, Firewire, nVidia LAN, SoundStorm audio and if you get the later 2.0 or 2.1 revision boards, Ultra 400 400Mhz FSB support) without all the next to useless fluff like SATA (which gives you an extra PCI slot making a total of 6) and the second NIC like other boards. Plus, it can be had for less than USD$100 now (last price I saw was at Newegg for USD$92 although that won't really help you in Greece...). With nForce2 here, there is no sane reason whatsoever to even consider buying a Via based motherboard so do the sensible thing and avoid them like London during the Plague.

Quote:
I have an EPoX 8RDA+ nForce2 motherboard and absolutely love it to bits. It has everything useful that nForce2 has to offer (Dual Channel DDR support, AGP8X, ATA133, USB2.0, Firewire, nVidia LAN, SoundStorm audio and if you get the later 2.0 or 2.1 revision boards, Ultra 400 400Mhz FSB support) without all the next to useless fluff like SATA (which gives you an extra PCI slot making a total of 6) and the second NIC like other boards. Plus, it can be had for less than USD$100 now (last price I saw was at Newegg for USD$92 although that won't really help you in Greece...). With nForce2 here, there is no sane reason whatsoever to even consider buying a Via based motherboard so do the sensible thing and avoid them like London during the Plague.

I have been extreemely impressed with the nforce2 boards.

Do not buy a VIA based board

Since you have the option of a NFORCE2 board, go that route

Gone are the days where AMD users have to buy subpar chipsets, with more issues then kobe bryant's accuser laugh

anyways, Nforce2 is stable, well priced, and has so many great features.

Gigabyte makes some of the best boards for AMD, ASUS is good but they've seem to be going downhill on thier quality as of late, SOYO and MSI can be ok, but ABIT and GIGABYTE are the 2 top ones in my opinion.

I had a micro ATX ABIT nforce1 board, and it was a real pleasure to own

i have an asus a7n8x deluxe, i think its an absolutely great board. i can overclock my barton 2500+ easily to 3200+

no changes to the cpu or anything.

well it would be great to get a new mobo but with the kids starting school and bills piling trading seems to be the only option for a while for me. Plus my 8K7A board is about to croak because there is elctrolyte fluid leaking from the tops of a lot of the compasitors (bad sign). Haha unless someone here had a decent to good mobo I can trade for instead of the dragon +