Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Guvernment

[warning] New Virus Out [/warning]

Hey all a new one out:

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/08/12/windows.worm.reut/index.html

Visit Windows update for patch:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp

Direct Windows XP Patch File (on my http)

http://66.207.199.6/forums/mrguv/WindowsXP-KB823980-x86-ENU.zip

Products Affected by This Update

The following products require up[censored]:

· Microsoft Windows NT® 4.0

· Microsoft Windows 2000

· Microsoft Windows XP

· Microsoft Windows Server™ 2003

Quote:

SAN FRANCISCO, California (Reuters) -- An Internet worm targeting Microsoft Corp Windows users was spreading rapidly around the world on Tuesday, triggering computer crashes and slowing Web connections, experts said.

The worm, dubbed Blaster but also known as LoveSan or MSBlaster, carried a message for the Microsoft chairman: "Billy Gates why do you make this possible? Stop making money and fix your software!!"

Blaster, which zeroes in on Windows 2000 or Windows XP operating software, has been timed to attack a Microsoft security Web site distributing the patch needed to stop the worm in its tracks before it hits millions of users.

It'll be OK!! Everyone put an extra layer of tinfoil on your hats!

Sorry... Just tired of hearing about this already... The patch has been out for 3+ weeks.

;(

this bugger is tough to get rid of

i formatted my computer several times today installing both win nt and 2000 and i still have the worm

dunno what else to do

Set up NAT and forward the afflicted ports to an invalid (internal) IP address...

Or...

Slipstream the patch into your installation media for NT/2000/XP/2003.

^^^ Sorry m8, this was the first i had heard of the virus, i did notice that on the patch that is was dated July 16th, so i was kind of wondering why i had not heard about it yet.

Quote:
^^^ Sorry m8, this was the first i had heard of the virus, i did notice that on the patch that is was dated July 16th, so i was kind of wondering why i had not heard about it yet.

No, it is me that should apologize, I was being a bit smart... Sorry.

Not everyone wastes, err, spends as much time surfing the web as I do.

Quote:
this bugger is tough to get rid of

i formatted my computer several times today installing both win nt and 2000 and i still have the worm

dunno what else to do

If you keep performing fresh installations of the OS with a hot connection to the internet, then you will be exposing the system to whatever exploits are currently running in the wild (like CodeRed). The best thing to do is slipstream the OS as mentioned, and then download the hotfixes and burn them onto the same CD (you can even "QChain" them if you like). Then, make sure to disconnect the system from the network (ideal) or disconnect the LAN from the uplink to the Internet. Now, install the OS and the patches. Once you bring it online, you should be set. If you are behind a firewall or NAT device, you should be OK assuming that there are no systems on the LAN that are infected and trying to infect others already on the LAN.

The best way to install your OS is have a private subnet with a DHCP server with everything slipstreamed into the network install including the hotfixes. Quite simple to setup and easier then having to making new media constantly.

With all due respect to the admins here, if you are a systems admin, or network admin for your company, you should have known about this. IF not, you need to make www.cert.org your homepage, which lists all new issues with all OS's. And subscribe to MS and Linux alerts which will inform you of any security issues with the respective OS's

Information Security is an ongoing war, and you have to be proactive.

Quote:
Quote:

No, it is me that should apologize, I was being a bit smart... Sorry.

Not everyone wastes, err, spends as much time surfing the web as I do.

lol

we all have or days - it is understandable as some people (i am guilty) have posted things that have bee posted before and it is a waste - i tend to try and look through a forum thought to see if i see a post alreayd, if not, then i post smile