Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
foxman98

PIII Overclock

I know this isn't really Win2k related, but bear with me since there seem to be a lot of intelligent smart people here. My system:

Dual PIII 450 128M RAM.

Super Micro P6DBE Motherboard.

Currently the PIII's are overclocked to 504. (112 Mhz. FSB). My question is, is there a utility to let me go higher, because my BIOS will only let me set it to 112....

Thanks

Steve

You might try SoftFSB - it does on-the-fly reprogramming of the FSB speed-controlling chip.

However, increasing the FSB also increases the bus speed of the mobos PCI and AGP. This can cause immense instability...

It's probably your RAM.

If you still have the older PC66 RAM, the best you can expect is an increase in FSB to 112MHz (and that's only in the best cases). If you upgrade your RAM to PC100 or PC133 you will probably be able to tweak it a little higher to say 124Mhz (if you MB supports it) or even higher.

But make sure that your PCI, and AGP buses stay within a reasonable limit (best bet is below 40Mhz PCI, and 67-70Mhz AGP.)

Hope it helps.

Sorry, re-read your post.

You say your BIOS only allows you to tweak to 112Mhz, maybe a flash upgrade is available from your board manufacturer (although it's unlikely that this will enable any higher FSB speeds, as that is controled by hardware).

Sorry 'bout misunderstanding.

I have played around w/ softfsb, however, my motherboard is not listed undr the motherboard section, and thus i am forced to select the chipset (winbond etc.). How do I found out what the fsb chipset is? Again, supermicro P6DBE.

Thanks.

Steve

Damn - just re-read your original post. How are you incresing the FSB? Where is the BIOS option?

I've got a P6DBS (same as your mobo but with SCSI) and ver 2.2 BIOS, and I don't have an option to up the FSB...

Also, regarding SoftFSB, you'll need to take your machine apart, and look for the 20 (or so) pin DIL chip on the mobo...

Heh, this one took me a while to figure out / find help for on the internet. If indeed your mobo is same setup us mine, if you go into the BIOS, it's a grpahical interface right? Well, goto the third menu on the right, i think's it chipset. If this isn't the right section look around, you are looking for "manfuctory setting" something like that. it'll be all the way on the bottom. 5 modes are listed. Mode 0 is regular FSB (100) and mode 2 is 103 and mode 3 is 112). Play around, high I can get my piii's 450 up to is 504.

cheers,

steve

Thanks for the info...

FWIW, I never made SoftFSB work for me - I got bored with the "trial and error/reboot" approach, and e-mailed SuperMicro . . . no reply.

Still, I'm happy for the time being with a pair of Celery 300a's running at 450.

Did you have the celeron's OC'ed before, or did the manufacturer setting thing work for you. I hate how they named it that, took me a while to finally figure out that all it did was to adjust the FSB. Jeez, they could've made it easier..... Anyways, u said to look on the mobo for the chip, couldn't you do the same w/ yours?

I've o/c'd using the MSI Slot1->Socket370 converters - which is also how I got SMP.

I did the mobo search, but didn't find anything that matched the list in SoftFSB...