Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dharmesh

Poll: Operating Systems

1. 1. Sharepoint migration 2010

• Migrating to Sharepoint 2010

Im thinking about operating systems and they all have thier special features for differen't people. Tell me which is your favourite

XP Pro

You can have the eye candy if you want, but also make it look and feel like Win2k

Its stable ,fast, and has so many features to mention

You forgot win2k3. It's the fastest microsoft os since windows 2000. If you use it as a workstation it beats win2000 and xp.

^^^ buit for home users u need to enable alot of services that are turned off, which is not good for people scared of their compouters.lol

if you know what your doing then yes, but Xp can also be tweaked down to 2003 level and Xp does not have all the extra stuff like dns serevr, etc etc.

Who's got the money to shell out for 2003 Server only to run it as a workstation at home!!!???

Windows 2000 SP4 is my pick. Never had one problem with it. I ran XP for 2 years and granted it boots faster (yippee) it was a fuster cluck of problems.

Hi Gang,

I would like to vote for Windows 2003 server even though I no longer have it installed (120 Day Trial). I've never used anything faster or more stable. It features just the basics and once you turn of the security features and enable sound the OS is absolutely bitching.

Cheers,

Christian

Hi Mr. Guverment,

Actually I don't think you can get Windows XP to run as fast as Windows 2003 I turned of all the features in XP when I was using it and it never got as fast as 2003. I wish they'd make a workstation version of 2003 though.

Cheers,

Christian

Define fast.

Same application? Game? Speed at which it opens documents? What is your test or set of tests?

Of course the best OS was omitted from this poll so hence my Others vote.

I guess I can date myself somewhat and say that I think AmigaDOS is the best thing since sliced bread laugh

yes as in what fast

did u turn off all services - indentical to 2003? themese and all

i do not deny that 2003 is a fast as i have used it myself, but the way i tweak my xp i cna get it to run likely as fast

do not forget to make setting like how memory and cpu usage is et to back ground apps or foreground ones type thing.

2003 is a great O.S as u install it and it is fasdt, where as Xp u would need to tweak a bit to get it close to 2003 speeds - but again - the cost.

I agree 2003 costs too much, but fortunately I used to work at Microsoft and have friends that still work there.

Cheers,

Christian

Quote:
Who's got the money to shell out for 2003 Server only to run it as a workstation at home!!!???

Windows 2000 SP4 is my pick. Never had one problem with it. I ran XP for 2 years and granted it boots faster (yippee) it was a fuster cluck of problems.

FEEEELTHy PIRATES! that's who!

Is it any good.............. people are saying its fast but its a "server" windows not a workstation. How are games like Quake 3 and Ut 2003 and stuff and what :x interface does it use....... 2ks or Xps...... Anyways who got money to afford such a product and pirating is not the way to go.

Hi Dharmesh,

By default Windows 2003 has Win2K's UI, but I think there's a way to install the Windows XP UIs.

Cheers,

Christian

Quote:
By default Windows 2003 has Win2K's UI, but I think there's a way to install the Windows XP UIs.

You need to enable and start the Windows Themes service.

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the tip I'll keep that in mind if I play with it some more. All I have is the 120 Day trial. Even though I could probably get it at an extreme discount I really don't like playing with Operating Systems until they're more mature. I'll let somebody else play around with intermittent data loss smile.

Cheers,

Christian

Quote:
Thanks for the tip I'll keep that in mind if I play with it some more. All I have is the 120 Day trial.

No problem, currently all I have is the evaluation copy too. If you're interested, by the way, if you order the Exchange 2003 evaluation kit, you can get a copy of Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition for evaluation, too. Although not too much of a difference between that and the Enterprise Edition, at least for evaluation purposes.

smile

While semi-on topic about operating systems, Gentoo Linux 1.4 was released today... Finally out of beta/RC!!