Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Radioactive Frog

Adsl

I remember reading some where that when you have adsl the computer connected is limited to how far it can be away! i.e. the lead between the modem and the filter on the btsocket can only be a certain length!

Is this right and can anyone tell me what the distance is?

thanks

I don't know if there's a limit on the length of the phone line or not. But if there is, you can always put the modem further away from the PC and use a longer ethernet cable.

Champion_R: The only prob there is, i have an internal pci modem! so that is where the PC is!! thanks anyway!

ReadError: Yeah i think there is a limit too. But im getting an oem modem and therefore it won't have a cablr with it!!

any other responses?

thanks

12 to 15 thousand feet from the dslam is the only limit I know. This is from the dslam to the modem. Shielded cable can help.

Quote:
12 to 15 thousand feet from the dslam is the only limit I know. This is from the dslam to the modem. Shielded cable can help.

Yes, that's 12 to 15 thousand from the main trunk. If you're 3 miles or more, you're SOL with ASDL. You should be able to use any reasonable length from the modem to the pc. If it's standard ethernet, then, you should be able to use cat-5 or cat-6 up to 100' easy.

This is why there is a slower version called iDSL which can go for a bit longer length however the up/down is limited to 144kb wink

The biggest issue is the actual distance between the residence/business and the local CO(Central Office) of the ILEC(Incombent Local Exchange Carrier) or you local Telco if you prefer. This has no bearing on how close you are physically as I've seen some of the routes that some lines have taken to the local CO and they were not pretty 8)

Now inside the premises you can sometimes extend the length of the cable from your machine to the phone jack where your xDSL service comes in but it's better to get a jack as close as possible, if this means having the Telco route some new cabling in the premesis then so be it, you'll have shinny new copper then laugh