Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Dude

Crash - Appcompat.txt in ALL games

Everytime I attempt to play any game I crash back to the desktop. I get an appcompat.txt error. I think it only happens on programs that use DirectX (Ihave a screensaver that crashes too and that uses directX).

This started to happen suddenly for no apparent reason after running smoothly before for several months.

I'm running XP Pro,

AMDXP 1.8Ghz,

1024Mb DDR RAM

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro

CL Soundblaster Live 5.1

I have searched the web and a number of newsgroups and loads of people have a appcompat.txt error, but no one has been able to fix it.

I have updated my drivers to the latest versions. I have re-installed my OS after a complete re-format. I have tried rolling back to W2K and games still crash.

Does anyone have any ideas?

what motherboard do you have and are you running at 8X AGP or 4X?

also do you have any errors when you run dxdiag? and is AGP acceleration enabled when you run the above under the display tab.

and when you run the tests under dxdiag does it also crash?

S

I have a

A7N8X Deluxe SKT A NForce2 Chipset Motherboard VER: 2.0

as far as I know I'm running at 8X

There are no errors/crashes in the dxdiag tests and the AGP texture acceleration is not available in my Display tab.

Hi, I am having the same problem with a very similar system.

ATI Radeon 9800 PRO AGP 8X 128MB DDR Video Card

Corsair TWINX1024-3200 1GB Kit DDR400 XMS3200 Dual-Channel

Memory w/Black Heat Spreader

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe nForce2 Ultra 400 Athlon(XP)/Duron SktA DDR

ATX Motherbaord w/Audio, Gigabit LAN, Serial ATA

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 2.2GHz 400FSB 512KB Processor

Whenever I try to run Medal of Honor (which uses DirectX) it crashes after a few minutes with the appcompat.txt error. And whenever I try to even start up a program called eMule (file sharing) it doesn't even start up, just comes up with the same error. Any ideas as how I should fix it?

I believe that appcompat.txt is that which is produced to be sent to Microsoft when some program crashes the system. In the text is the dll which is considered responsible. It may very well be an activeX component, but I have also read that certain popup stoppers and IE itself are also candidates. There does seem to be a correlation with some file sharing programs that use ezula components. These components are supposed to be limited to the file sharing folder but find themselves in the \windows\system and \system32 folders where they are not supposed to be.

For the ezula problem. First uninstall the "Toptext", "HotText", or "ContextPro". If you are using Kazaa, this shouldn't affect it. Some suggest rebooting. Others don't. Nonetheless, you

see if you have stub.exe or ezstub.exe on your system. Do a search on you hard drive for 'stub.exe ezstub.exe'. You'll find it in Windows' System or System32 folder. ezstub.exe can be found in the Program Files folder.

If there's no file like that, about 52K in size, you don't have the downloader/installer. (Some may find a 'stub.exe' in the CuteFTP folder - don't delete that one!)

Open a command prompt (aka DOS window) and go to the directory stub.exe or ezstub.exe is in.

Type this (hit enter at the end of each line):

stub.exe -UnregServer

del stub.exeOr if you found ezstub.exe:

ezstub.exe -UnregServer

del ezstub.exe

Then, to kill its installer you see if you have ezulaboot.dll on your system.

Do a search on you hard drive for ezulaboot.dll. You'll find it in Windows' Downloaded Programs folder.

If there's no file like that, you don't have the Web downloader/installer on your system.

You'll need regsvr32.exe for removal. Do a search on your hard drive for regsvr32.exe. You'll find it in Windows' System or System32 folder. Take note of its path.

Open a command prompt (aka DOS window) and go to the directory ezulaboot.dll is in.

Type this (hit enter at the end of each line, the path to regsvr32.exe may differ if you're not on Windows NT/2000):

C:\WinNT\system32\regsvr32.exe -u ezulaboot.dll

del ezulaboot.*

To see if you have a browser object helper, use BHODemon. Some of the taskbars that are added to IE can contain spyware. Install BHODemon to show you if any BHO's are attached to IE that may be causing the problem.

Look at the text in appcompat to see what program or .dll is being accused of the failure. If it is a task running in the background, see what it is associated with. If it is not standard windows and you don't know what it does, use Google to see if you can find its function. If you find it is associated with something unnecessary, end it as a task, and try running the game once more.

Because you are running an ATI card, I would go to one of their boards and see if this problem comes up for any of them. OpenGL seems to have more problems with ATI cards. There may be a workaround.

I do not have any of the ezula components in my system at all.

I ran BHODemon and found one item, a program associated with acrobat reader and ActiveX, so I disabled it.

In one of the appcompat.txt files, it accuses eMule (file sharing program) of the error. I have also gotten an appcompat.txt error with medal of honor (everytime i try to run it) and once with IE.

But I can't find an ATI web board for help. Thanks for your help man.

appcompat.txt crashes winmx on me. It doesn't crash my games just winmx. I tried to delete the file but it came back is this file a virus or something i've read a lot about this file on google. I have windows xp media center edition 2004 512mb ram nvidia geforce fx 5200. Please help can't use winmx because of this file.

hi i am also having the same problem but i hav accompat.txt issues with Ares and Warez p2p and with windows media player 10 or 9. I think this could be a driver problem i rolled back to my old driver to play fifa 2005 PC. and ever since its been having problems. i tryed updateing it agian but its still a problem i have messgaes like error kernell32.dll and other stuff i have a windows xp 512 memory and 170G space. i might have a virus i have like 5 different virus protections like spybot adaware hijack this and other stuff. i also hav the same problem with macfee the secrutiy center wont open but firewwall plus opens. ive tryed searching for virsus but i get nothing. The computer has slowed down alot and freezes sometimes

ur help will be greatly aprreciated

ihave geforce4mx intergrated graphics

javier

Hi, I am having this problem also (appcompat.txt errors). The only difference is I am not running anything out of the ordinary, just doing my webmaster thing.

My virus definitions are up to date.

Anytime I download new software programs or anything for that matter, and I try to install them I get (setup.exe has to close it has encountered a problem). I am also getting errors when I try to install Windows xp service pack three. Service pack 2 installed ok after doing it twice. Windows xp service pack three only installed 4 of the 6 componenets, two wont install.

Also getting an error that msn.msgs.msi file path doesnt exist.

And---One more error message - sprite6.exe.

I honestly am at my wits end, I have reviewed a lot of forums and microsoft faq's and solutions. I have tried two or three troubleshooting ideas from microsoft and I really don't know what the deal is.

If anyone has any probable solutions, please let me know I would greatly appreciate it as it is really hindering my progress lately. In the meantime we will be going to the PC Doctor for a check up.

Good luck to the rest of you with the same problem. If I find out anything, I'll pass it on. Please do the same.

It really seems to me that there is some kind of application file that has been hijacked or something and that it must have got by the virus protection?

Email to: rjd@icorporatesolutions.com ;(