Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pupazz

A couple of minor niggles

nothing especially wrong, but these are things i would like to know about please (Win2k SP3)

1 is there any way to protect the reg settings for speakers? some games

like to reset them to stereo instead of surround

2 my PC has a tendany to alt-tab progs by itself, the longer its left on the worse it gets. i THINK this has been goign on longer than ive had this

keyboard. Any idea why? no messages pop up, it just happens

3 it takes about five minutes to shutdowjn despite apparently doing

nothing

there was another, ill edit the post when i remember oP

thanks

Hi Alec,

Quote:

The last one sounds like your system has been possibly tweaked to clear the pagefile @ shutdown... a good security measure, but takes time to close down, especially if pagefile is diskbound/placed on a slow disk & you have alot of memory that was paged to it & pagefile itself is large.

How would someone enable/disable that? My system takes forever to shutdown, but I don't think I ever consciously set it to clear my pagefile on shutdown?

-Christian

a-ha! i remembered the other thing-

monitor power saving: whatever i set the settings to, it works once and once only untill i change them to something (anything) else.

this is a new one thats only happened over the last 3 weeks.

Tried all the power-scheme changing, but i hate power saving and i turn th emonitor off instead of a screensaver.

In response to you responses smile -

i use blackICE firewall, which seems to be capable enough, if someone is messing with my PC then they must to be very easy to ammuse, alt tabbing once or twice a couple of days doent really seem worth bothering getting access to someones PC for.

X-mouse i havent got, and tweakUI has only been on a matter of weeks, this is a long running irritation.

The clear pagefile idea seems reasonable, but on occasion it will work quickly for a few days. Personally i suspect its either NAV2003 or DirectX9.

I'll check when i get home.

The registy is still somewhat akin to dark arts to me.... just where are the speaker settings stored?

Thanks again.

Hi Alec,

Thanks for the info, and yes you're right I should have tried to use google. Sometimes the best advice is the not the advice at all, but the directions on how to get it when you need it. The clearing of the Page File was turned off I shall try that out and see how I like it.

Cheers,

Christian