Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ebbomega

DVD playing on Mandrake 9.0

Alright, I'm trying to get my DVD-ROM to work on my Mandrake box... I've had a couple of snags, though. The main thing being that I've downloaded/installed the Ogle rpms and the program is not agreeing with the location of my dvd-rom. It's set to /dev/hdg but ogle keeps looking for /dev/dvd ...

Furthermore, I was wondering if there is any way I can get Xine to decode my DVDs?

If ogle is looking for /dev/dvd all you need to do is create a symlink to /dev/hdg then. It's very simple. All you do is cd into /dev directory su to root and type the following:

ln -s /dev/hdg dvd

As far as getting xine to read dvd's, I had it working at one time about 2 years ago. I haven't tried again lately since I ran across a developer copy of LinDVD.

You just have to download and install all the appropriate plugins, D5D, D4D, and Xine will be able to read the DVDs properly.

i have an older dvd rom the defualt media player will not reconise the cosdecs on the dvd any sugestion

i am not using lin dvd the dvd is xine and under windows the only player i found that would run was cinedvd player i never could get win dvd to play it was missing some dlls i probley have lin dvd but i have not bothered to try and insatall it that is the one annying thing about linux having to run line commands just to install a program