Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ali

My First AMD System!

Quote:
Quote:
From what I understand there are certain releases that will overclock better then others. Make sure you get a Thoroughbred B though., Do you know you can buy a retail version for $50?

Make sure it's a JIUHB (or is it JUIHB? I can't remember) core model as these are the ones that overclock really well. They don't need a lot of fiddling about either, many can reach decent overclocks using little more than stock cooling/voltages.

I have seen that before but I wasn't entirely sure what it was talking about. Thats something you don't really know until you get it though.

true

the fan i have in my system is like 1 step up from a stock and i got 700mhz out of mine - stock voltage as well.

the AMD i got was an 1800+ so gave it to the g/f system i built her.

waiting to grab a C chip to mess with now @ some point.

We have reciever two intel mobo's.

D865PERL and D865GLC. over 50% of Pelrs are defective out of the box. they don't even POST! wen you get one to post, it works really fast (you have to flash the BIOS to get it to go with the p4 c serries) but you get all kinds of random crashes. applications and even windows explorer keep going "not responding", or it just freeze ther and you cannot do anything with it for 5 min or so. Here is the config/parts we have used so far for testing:

CPU's:

P4 2.4/2.4B/2.4C/3.06Ghz/3Ghz (800FBS)

VGA CARDS:

Sapphire ATI Radeon 7000 64MB

Sapphire ATI Radeon 9000 128MB

Sapphire ATI Radeon 9100 128MB

Sapphire ATI Radeon 9200 128MB

Memory:

Crutial 256/512 DDR PC 2100 and 2700 Single/Dual Channel configs. (win xp: random crashes/freezing)

Syncmax 256/512 DDR PC 2100 and 2700 Single/Dual Channel configs. (win xp: random crashes/freezing)

Kingston 512 DDR PC 2700 only Single Channel (win xp random crashes but more stable than the previous ones!)

Samsung PC 3200 256 MB (on dual Channel)

the PERL Mobos look so good and they work so fast (even with all the winXP fade effects and shadows and all kinds of things, you can feel it. when you click it just opens up right there without any delays. BUT IT CRASHES A LOT! frown )

I said all bad things about AMD, now Intel is catching up too! laugh

AMD is great for the aggressive gamer....

I got my XP 1700+ running at 1900+ speeds,

Idle - 118f

Full Load - 127f

With stock cooler

I threw on a Volcano 7+ (great hs@f)

Idle - 97f

Full Load - 108f

really helped out! its kinda loud at high speed (around 6200 rpm)

Medium seems to be great (5000 rpm) course it helps that my room is like a constant 57f lol :P

Pat

Quote:
AMD is great for the aggressive gamer....
I got my XP 1700+ running at 1900+ speeds,

Idle - 118f
Full Load - 127f

With stock cooler

I threw on a Volcano 7+ (great hs@f)

Idle - 97f
Full Load - 108f

really helped out! its kinda loud at high speed (around 6200 rpm)
Medium seems to be great (5000 rpm) course it helps that my room is like a constant 57f lol :P

Pat

What core are you using? You should be able to get 2500 speeds with no problem on it.

yeah

most 1700 are AMD's sweet chip and u can hit 2,5ghz if u do it right. although i prefer my intels as u can see below for my aggresive gaming needs.

Quote:
You people act like it is a freeking IRON. It is a computer, you can leave it on 24 7 365. I will not melt down! Heat is an issue with any electrical component with that much going on inside it.

AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A DECENT HS&F, IT IS A COMPUTER LIKE ANY OTHER.

A great deal of my clients have machines, Dell, Gateway etc. with AMD chips in them, and they NEVER have a problem. The biggest problem is Windows. I think YOU are making it bigger that it really is.

As it comes to thinking of it, most probmels are generated by id10T users. I think windows XP is great, but everybody is complaining (my computer rookie customers) about every little thing they encounter. Most of the times it is their own fault.

In my case i did some modifications to the system. I bought a bette case, an Enermax 350W powersupply with two fans (because the other one started acting up and getting hot and giving out only 2.9v instead of 3.3v).
now after spending another $300 CND it seems to be working really good.
So much for saving money! over buying an intel. This one makes 10 times more nise than my p4 because of the vocano9.

^^^

Gen

over heating is the issue with overclocking and YES u can melt it. especially AMD as their "thermal" protection does not work as it should, unliek intel's version which underclocks the cpu until the temp drops.

it is true a decent HS will do the trick, but even when u over clock a good HS sometimes is not enough.

The AMD stock cooler isn't that great.

Having said that, I've been running an AMD setup in my main box for several years now. I've tried the P4, and while, yes, it overclocks extremely well, the performance isn't as good. If you want the fastest, yes, Intel wins. However AMD has the price/performance crown on slower CPU's (the 3200+ is a bit overpriced). The P4 has longer pipelines, IIRC, which does allow the better overclocking (and scaling), but this is at the cost of how much work it does per clock cycle.

Ultimately, tho, AMD has done work on the Athlon line to make it less flaming hot. That THG video a while back may have been true then, but now that's been worked on to have something like that not happen again.

In any case: IT'S A FRICKIN COMPUTER. As long as it's working right, I really don't care what's under the hood.

yes, AMD CPU is cheaper, but the price for everythingelse is the same (mobo, memory, HDD, etc.). the money you may save on tthe cpu you have to spend on a better case and cooling fan for the cpu. so there is not much difference anyways.

Some simple steps to making a cool and fast running AMD Based system:

You need to take into account couple of important bits of information before building an AMD system. Air Flow, Power Supply specifications and options, cooling, oh and did I say airflow.

Case & PSU, this has to be one of the first of the three most important steps in the process.

Things to look for in a good case for AMD based systems:

Airflow: (Think neat tidy and roomy. But mainly just think!)

Front and rear fans, Rear fan must be blow air out and the front fan blowing air in.

*To reduce noise I suggest using some Vantec Stealth Fans, excellent airflow and quiet.

Don’t go for a small cramped Micro ATX Case for AMD unless you really have to. Micro ATX Cases and clear airflow are not something you will find in the same sentence often.

Make sure your cabling is neat and tidy and not blocking airflow. I have seen studies done on the airflow restriction of IDE and FDD cables in cases it was very interesting. The flat cables can destroy airflow, quicker than you can say any of the four letter words in your vocabulary. Get yourself some rounded IDE & FDD cables.

Then go down to your local automotive accessories store and pick up some plastic split/spiral loom and some cable ties and cover up those nasty power cables.

*If at this stage you are using stock cooling I would also suggest a side panel vent or fan.

Power Supply: (Don’t skimp or it will just cost you in the long run)

This seems to be where a lot of people go wrong. 300Watts + (recommended 400Wartts) people and TUV Specifications at that too please to ensure your system is getting true and correct 12v supply anything other than TUV specification power supply and you can expect to have a hot running system as your power supply is being stressed to the max. Stressed power supplies die and they die in record time.

Features to look for in a good power supply:

Dual Temperature controlled fans; any of the following major brands have them. Leadman, Enermax, and also if you look hard enough some of the cheaper no name brand TUV spec’d power supplies have this as well.

Extra 12V supply. Intel users will know what this is all about, but some of you older AMD uses will not. Its now required on many of the new NForce 2 boards it’s a requirement brought about by 8x AGP and the new ever more power hungry AGP cards on the market.

CPU Cooling:

Now this is another part you have to think long and hard about. Thing to take into account, what is the system going to do and where will it be going. And how much noise can it make. And also what speed and core the CPU is.

Environment: (e.g. bedrooms, offices, lounge etc)

There are places you hardly want to be sitting next to a 747 at take off sounding computer am I right. So again I suggest using Vantec Stealth fans or should you really want to get carried away opted for a water cooling kit. Thermaltake have a nice simple to setup up water kit.

Things that make a good low noise CPU cooler:

Copper, either it be made totally out of copper of be copper aluminium with copper insert in the base. Thin Fin technology on the actually heat sink itself (e.g. Thermaltake Volcano 10+, this is an ideal low noise heat sink).

Fan speed on the heat sink itself is another 1800 to 3000rpm is ideal range any louder and you will get a lot of wind noise.

Thermal Compound: (that stuff that you must put between CPU and the heat sink to add thermal transfer)

A little goes a long way is my motto on this I have seen countless computers come to me with piles of thermal compound and the customer complaining their system is still running hot.

Artic Silver has an excellent guide on how to apply thermal compounds. As for those little various coloured pads on the bottom of all stock heat sinks, GET RID OF THEM. And get some real thermal compound.

Price performance NO COMPARISON between AMD and intel this is a 5 month old system with mobo/processors for a total of 294 dollars (MSI-K7D 2x 1700+ OEM with $14 dolalr SK-7's heatsink/fans).

NOT A SINGLE! intel PC even now 5 MONTHS LATER out there that can touch this for even double the price.

My dad has a p4 3.06 HT from dell downstairs which is nice but for my multitasking uses it just doesnt cut it. Plus it was WAYY to expensive.

Im not an AMD fan this is my 1st AMD system, here are my previous setups

Dual 233 MMX Intel Tyan Thunder s1456D

Dual 550 Intel BP6

Dual 933 Intel VP6

now Dual 3000 AMD K7D

2400_STABLE_1.jpg